Tank Top Decals

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tank Top Decals

Post by broook »

Looking at photos of early model gas tanks I notice that some have only the "CBX DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAM" sticker while others have another rectangular sticker in English, French, and German with," REMEMBER PRESERVE NATURE, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET and THINK SAFETY.

Were these on all models when they came from the factory or just the 79`s or 80`s i am going to try to restore my Red 80 and would like to know what is required.

Thanks.

chinster

Tank Top Decals

Post by chinster »

Brooke, I don't know about the '81 and '82, but the '79 and '80 came with both the "24 valve" and the "preserve nature" decals from the factory. However, the "24 valve" decal is under the clearcoat, whereas the "perserve nature" decal is on top of the clearcoat. Almost as if Honda intended to give you the option to remove it if you so desired. It is the same with the "600 mile break-in" sticker on the speedo, many owners removed it after the 600 mile service. :) If you need a "preserve nature" decal, let me know - Chinster

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

tank top decals...

Post by sr71cbx »

broook,

The sticker in question was added by Honda at the factory likely due to liability reasons.My 79 had it when I bought it new,but I removed it after it started to peel up on one corner and would trap wax residue under it.I suppose if you have an original fuel tank with it on there,from an originality standpoint,it would be very favorable,as well as the sticker put on the speedo for break-in mileage reminder. 8)

LOUIS

TANK

Post by LOUIS »

Mark, I have seen that all the new tanks that I have got in the past do not have those helmet stickers on it. LOUIS

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

warning sticker

Post by sr71cbx »

Louis,

That's correct,my new '80 tank,when I got it from Honda several years back,did not have the warning sticker.As far as I know,only NEW bikes got that sticker(correct me if I'm wrong). 8)

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

tank top decals

Post by broook »

Thanks for the reply guys.

Would chinster please E me off list. Interested in that Decal.

Thanks. :D

Bob Brook.

Newfoundland.

ICOA # 2430

80x

T150v

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tank Decal

Post by EMS »

I don't know, where and exactly when Honda slapped the "alibi" stickers on the tank, but my original German 1979 , bought in the fall of 1978, did not have the sticker. I still have that original tank, which I since replaced on the bike with an NOS tank that was a parts unit and has the sticker. That unit is a 1980, though. Interesting.

chinster

Tank Decal

Post by chinster »

Broooke, I would love to e-mail you re: decal. However, I don't know how to get your e-mail address from this site..... :oops: Let me know how and I will contact you..........chinster

dkrager
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dkrager »

chinster,

If you register for the board you will get a personal mailbox then you can just hit the PM button under broook's name. :thumupp:

Makes it allot easier to read the board too.

Hope this helps,

Dave...

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

decals

Post by broook »

Hi Chinster

At the bottom of this post you will see three icons.

My profile, PM @ ICQ

Press on PM, [personal message] type your message and send.

Nothing to it after the first time.

It only took me a couple of weeks to figure it out. :D

chinster

Tank Decal

Post by chinster »

Broooke, I tried the PM icon and it asked for a user id and a password. I'm thinking that dkrager is right. I need to register for the board. Thanks dk. Let me figure that out and I'll get back at ya.... :thumupp: - chinster

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”