Painters

Valvefloat
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Painters

Post by Valvefloat »

I'm about to embark on a restoration of my '79 CBX, which hasn't run in over 20 years. It has been sitting in a garage the entire time, so it isn't heavily corroded. But it will need to be taken completely apart and reassembled after its parts are restored.

I plan to start with the bodywork, since I suspect that could be a long lead time item. While I have good mechanical skills and plenty of tools, I'm no painter. So I'd like to delegate that part of the process to a professional.

But I've searched this forum and can't find a list of people who provide that service. I live in the Denver area, and there are several motorcycle painters around here, but I haven't found one with any CBX experience. Given the complexity of the decal application and the multi-coat Candy Glory Red paint, I'd rather give the job to someone not doing it for the first time.

Does anyone know who does such work?

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Painters

Post by CBX-tras »

I use a shop here, near Detroit that can do it but, I'm not certain if they want to do "mail-in" work, running the risk of shipping damage.

I'll contact them today and post a reply.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have some resources in CO, I’ll put some feelers out and see where it goes.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

BD’s Cycle in Lancaster SC. He is a member of the ZRX forum I belong too, one of the best that I know of.

https://www.bdscycles.com/bd-s-cycles-home

Valvefloat
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Valvefloat »

Thanks for the responses. Obviously, Colorado would make the most sense, but I also used to live in the Detroit area and might be able to transport my bodywork there and back via safe transport. What is the shop you have in mind there?

BDs looks like a great shop, but I didn't see any CBX work in his portfolio of classics.

darbyfam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by darbyfam »

I second the recommendation for BD's Cycles in Lancaster. He did my 1100F and it came out AMAZING. We have discussed my CBX and he has experience with them.
1979 Honda CBX
1980 Honda CB750F
1981 Honda CB900F
1983 Honda CX650 Turbo
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 VF1000F

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Valvefloat wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:41 pm
Thanks for the responses. Obviously, Colorado would make the most sense, but I also used to live in the Detroit area and might be able to transport my bodywork there and back via safe transport. What is the shop you have in mind there?

BDs looks like a great shop, but I didn't see any CBX work in his portfolio of classics.
I’m kinda of curious why you think a CBX tank paint job is so special or takes some kind of special knowledge to do?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you have a CGR paint job...Besides the fact, that red in general is one of the most difficult colors to match, Honda's CGR was painted on a silver base coat and it is smart to have the job done by someone who knows what to do. Then again, any difference may only be recognizable in side by side comparison.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Like I said, this is your man.

https://www.bdscycles.com/bd-s-cycles-home

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You should get a reference from someone who actually used a painter, not some outfit you could have pulled yourself from the internet.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Valvefloat wrote:

Their retail name is new so, you won't recognize it. The Paintshop.

Their commercial name which only took in work for the car companies is GLS.

Located on a street that runs south from 16 mile, between Mound and Van Dyke.

Still checking, stay tuned.

Valvefloat
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Valvefloat »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm
Valvefloat wrote:

I’m kinda of curious why you think a CBX tank paint job is so special or takes some kind of special knowledge to do?
I'm not expert, but with multilayer pearlescent paint, the center black stripe, the pin stripes and the various decals, it seems like a more complex paint job than most.

Valvefloat
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Valvefloat »

CBX-tras wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:52 am
Valvefloat wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I couldn't find this place on Google Maps.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

darbyfam wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:51 pm
I second the recommendation for BD's Cycles in Lancaster. He did my 1100F and it came out AMAZING. We have discussed my CBX and he has experience with them.
The owner operator of BD’s Cycles, Bryan, has been a long term member of ZRXOA.org, I’ve been a member there since 99 when I bought my ZRX. He has done many member’s vintage motorcycles over the years and people recommend his work.

Hope you can find something closer to you, keep looking!

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Valvefloat wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:56 pm
CBX-tras wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:52 am
Valvefloat wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I couldn't find this place on Google Maps.
You won't. up until recently, they only performed "secret" paintwork for the auto companies.

One time that I was dropping off materials, I wasn't allowed past the vestibule, due to the sensitivity of what was in the shop at the time. Other times, I get the full facility tour.

BTW, I'm still checking, haven't heard back but, when they're busy (Big show coming up in a couple of weeks, here) phone calls aren't as important as getting the work done.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”