Clutch Question

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Clutch Question

Post by EMS »

Here is one for all those who have done everything on a CBX: I am going through that 1980 "basket case" I aquired during the Winter meeting. I took the clucth off, and while this is not the first time I do this, something baffles me that never has before:
Why is it, that two of the bolts that hold down the pressure plate are different from the others? Why do the corresponding "towers" have the threads not go all the way to the top? What purpose does this have and how does it affect function? :? :?:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:

I think the 2 special bolts are shouldered to go into the 2 different towers to act as dowels to center the whole assembly. Not sure why that is so critical, but Honda thought so. Since a lot of them are assembled without regard to the special bolts by unknowing owners, and seem to work OK, I'm not sure why they are needed.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike, if you look close at the star shaped retainer it has two dots opposing each other, here is where the two shouldered bolts go, they in turn line up and go into the two opposing pressure plate towers that are countersunk to accept the shouldered bolts.

I do know for a fact that if you put the shouldered bolts into the non countersunk towers they can split, I have a couple laying around from some old ebay purchases.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Ahaa! 8) :shock: Positioning the lifter plate could be an explanation! I must admit, I never paid much attention to the lifter plate holes. I never installed the bolts in the wrong spots, however.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”