Paint inside petrol tank

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Paint inside petrol tank

Post by RE5Guy »

Yep some bright spark has poured maybe half a litre of yellow paint inside an otherwise nice tank. Guess he was trying to stop it rusting.

My issue is obviously getting it all out.

I have been peeling it off with a length of heavy wire which has been quite successful for the larger bits and have been loosening the remaining small bits with a length of chain that I have been rattling around in the tank and then sucking the small bits out with a vacuum cleaner, That has been working well.

However I can't see in there so I am sure there is more I have yet to get out.

Has anyone had this problem and how did they sort it?

There is some rust damage in the tank and I will Kreem it when I have got the paint out.

Thanks guys

Tony

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Tony, i suggest you have a look at Por-15 products instead.
http://www.por15.com/
I had a Kreem lining start to peel after 3 years on a GS1000 tank. Made a mess of the carbs.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Ball bearings with roofing nails & lots of practice making a Manhatten... :wink:

As for Kreeme & Por15, it's all in the preparation, however the general web concensus is Por is better...

Ps. Make sure your tank is structurally sound before any attempt at the " Manhatten" trick...
ICOA # 656

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RE5Guy »

Thanks guys,

I hear you Steve, but I already have purchased the Kreem. I have had it in my RE5 tank for 4 years and it is ok so far...(just jinxed it now of course).

I had a variation on the Manhatten trick suggested to me from an RE5 list which is amusing. That guy suggested roofing nails as well, but what he then does is wrap the tank in blankets and securely jam it into a concrete mixer and leave it running for several hours. Not sure if I am brave enough to try it, but it sure made me laugh.

Tony

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I have it on good authority (seen the results) that rust removal from the inside of the tank is a lot easier using mechanical means instead of muscular power.

Steve

Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Tue May 18, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embeded video

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

As long as the tank has been well vented of gas I wouldn't see a problem. I have heard of people wrapping them in a pillows & doing the same... :shock:
ICOA # 656

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”