Candy Glory Red Alast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got3now
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Candy Glory Red Alast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Got3now »

I'm getting closer to posting the exact codes for Candy Glory Red. I have been working with a friend who works at a paint suppy store. They are a PPG supplier. We have been doing spray out cards for quite some time (months) now. It is a time intensive process as we play on the weekends spraying the various bases and candies. I say various bases as there are a zillion silvers, and the size of the flake makes a big difference in the final product. Some too coarse, some not coarse enough. Some to silver, some to chrome. The PPG 1696 looked great, both color and flake.

In the next couple of weeks/months I will post my results.. For now. We are real close with the following:
PPG 1696 "silver dollar" as a base coat.
a 50/50 mix of PPG grow orange (don't have the number off hand) and Alsa brand blood red candy concentrate.

All these products are relatively inexpensive compared to the alternative.

Today we tried a couple of coats of just the orange over the silver then the four coats of blood red.. It looked the same as four coats of the 50/50 mixture. Three coats of the 50/50 mix had a slight orange hue which seems like what we were trying to acheive. A forth coat took the orange hue away. Perhaps an overall would look better with the forth coat. Only time will tell.

Also the colors seem to darken as they dried so on the last spray out card we quit on the third coat and will look at it in the morning to see if it darkened.

I can't believe that no one else has or is willing to post their success in identifying the mix. This is a hobby after all.

Anyone care to share the code for Perseaus Silver? Or you'all gonna make me mix that one too!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

A couple of things come to mind.

First, I hope you do get it the way you want it. But look at all the work you've done and still don't have it quite right. Most of us don't have free (apparently) access to what are very expensive paints to experiment with.

Then the final mixture you come up with will still cost a lot of money to buy. All paint is very expensive and getting more so all the time.

For my time and money, I'll get the paint from Colorite and pay the money. It is cheaper for most of us in the long run to do that - that's why no one else has posted the formula.

TIMS and CBXMAN (and others) do very nice work with exact matches to all CBX colors. Since a vast majority of us can't do that quality of paintwork, that's where we go do get the work done.

So knock your socks off if you have the time and materials to do this - I'm sure someone will benefit - it's just that most folks take a different route.

Dave

Got3now
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Got3now »

Nothing is free, conversely the prices that Colorite, Tims, and others are charging are a lot. If you own a CBX and are restoring one of these old bikes chances are that you have done some painting. Count how many posts are from people that are asking for the color codes not sources to have their parts painted.

I plan to continue my quest and post the exact as possible colors for those who wish to do it themselves. After all that is where the pride in ownership comes from, doing it yourself!

I will also post the cost of the paints and I am sure it will be far less than what the other companies charge!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Once again, we miss Chris from Colorado who seems to have deserted us. He did some paint himself and from what I could see, he did an excellent match of the Candy Glory Red. He would be able to give some hints as to which way to go. As far as I am concerned, I do not have the skills to paint but I have an excellent painter close by who is also a motorcyclist and he has a state-of-the-art color analyser and matching system. He paints a complete set of CBX bodywork, tank, front fender and tail for $800.-. Add $75.- for two gloss black sidecovers. I supply all the stripes and decals.

jamese
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by jamese »

Got3now wrote:Nothing is free, conversely the prices that Colorite, Tims, and others are charging are a lot. If you own a CBX and are restoring one of these old bikes chances are that you have done some painting. Count how many posts are from people that are asking for the color codes not sources to have their parts painted.

I plan to continue my quest and post the exact as possible colors for those who wish to do it themselves. After all that is where the pride in ownership comes from, doing it yourself!

I will also post the cost of the paints and I am sure it will be far less than what the other companies charge!
great idea and i for one will be thankful for the time you have taken to figure it out.i payed the big bucks for the colorite paint and a professional body shop last spring and i was not happy with the results.i put the bike together to ride this summer,but i want to do it over this winter.let me know what you come up with and thanks again.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

If your looking for your next paint ID project, I`ve got this 78 Z1r.......

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil wrote:If your looking for your next paint ID project, I`ve got this 78 Z1r.......
Porsche Silver-Blue, Phil!!! :wink:

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

I wonder how close that is now that you mention it. I remember reading in a bike magazine way back when that Porsche had some words with Kawasaki over that color.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Very close. Actually, very close. :wink:

SAPPLE89

Post by SAPPLE89 »

4 months later a no update! :(

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

From personal experience I can vouch for CBXMANs painter. He/she matched my candy glory red perfectly..... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Although red shades are the most difficult to perfectly match, I am pretty sure a good painter will be successful in getting it very close. Close enough that you will not recognize the difference. The original Candy Glory Red was painted over a silver base coat. I had a couple of sets painted and they all turned out fine. Usually, the painter has a paint analyzer and mixes the color accordingly. I have a NOS Honda tank on my 79 right now and a spare tank that is a repaint. If you hold them next to each other, there is no difference. The front fender on my bike is a "Prolink" design and was painted to match a red CB900F, the color difference is indiscernible on the bike. If you get 10 red CBXes assembled together, I dare to say that you will have a hard time finding 5 on which the paint matches exactly. I wouldn't be too concerned.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Some paint shops do not have a listing as far back as 1979-80 for bikes but the 1992 Honda ST1100 is also Candy Glory Red. They may be able to mix it for that.
Just a bit of info for new guys on the site.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

In the mid 1980's I bought a new tank ( from Honda ) as my original had rusted out with "Island gas". The owner of the Honda shop told me to inspect it well, as they had been known to be slightly off color occasionally....

It still amazes me how you guys get it right. I tried my hand one time & it was awful... :oops:
ICOA # 656

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”