ZZp or ZDDP

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ZZp or ZDDP

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

so i recently purchased a '65 mustang and my gear head bro-in law was telling me to make sure i get some ZZP or ZDDP into the motor oil. it is supposed to replace the zinc content found in older motor oils back in the day. he claims it helps save wear on the valve train / camshaft. when i read about it they mention it for the single overhead camshaft Honda's as well, for example my '70 cb750. anybody ever heard of this stuff? used it? recommend it? i am wondering about the wet clutches in our bikes and one thing for sure the CBX has is a pretty elaborate valve train.....

thx
Kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: ZZp or ZDDP

Post by EMS »

Warning! : Oil Thread!

Yes, ZZP/ZDDP is important for flat "tappets" or lifters like in most older OHC engines. Some higher weight motor oils do still have 1200 or more ppm of the stuff. For your Mustang, check out Mobil1 20W-40, if you can find it.
For the CBX, use a motorcycle specific 20W50. last time, I changed oil, I found a decent priced Valvoline. ( I am not paying $8.- for a quart of oil!)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

And STP Oil Treatment has the ZDDP. I don't know what the ppm would be, but the bottle says it has it.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

You might want to Google "ZDDP" to get some additional info and check at amazon.com for availability.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Lash
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Lash »

http://www.autopartscanadaonline.ca/zdd ... additives/
In Ontario, fast shipping, I bought a 6 pack to start..

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

so would the cbx be considered a "flat tappet" motor? the stuff wont hurt the clutch or trans? 20-50 in a CBX? in my temps in Canada should it not be 10-40? sorry for all the questions!

thx
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, the CBX is a "flat-tappet" motor. The cams contact a flat surface. The zinc composites have no negative effect on transmission or clutch. If you are concerned about using 20W50, you can use 15W30. Remember for cold temperatures, the lower rating is what counts. Not much difference between 15 and 20. But for an air-cooled engine, which have a tendency to run hot in the summer, even at 70°F (or 20°C) ambient, I'd rather be on the safe side with a 50.

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”