Upgrade on oil cooler??

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Upgrade on oil cooler??

Post by Syscrush »

Cooler, thermostat, and all of the plumbing stuff are expected for delivery tomorrow or Thu. Hopefully this will all be sorted out by the end of next week.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

BTW - the new thermostat is bigger than the old cast one shown in the pics. It's basically just a rectangular block of aluminum with ports milled out of it. Hopefully it's not a lot harder to fit. I'll post pics of the completed install.

EDIT: The new version absolutely does not fit as provided. Looks like it will fit if most of the extraneous material is removed, but this is extra time, effort, and money (unless you have your own milling machine). Before and after pics will be posted here eventually.

It might fit if you dropped the motor to get it in there AND eliminated the airbox, but I don't wanna do either.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Finally getting my thermostat machined so it has a chance of fitting. The NPT holes for temp sensors are going to be plugged, and the part smoothed, but here's where it's at right now:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Phil, remind me why you're installing a thermostat? Are you concerned that the bike isn't warming up fast enough or something?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:Phil, remind me why you're installing a thermostat? Are you concerned that the bike isn't warming up fast enough or something?
1. Because with a 13-row oil cooler (which I chose for dealing with midsummer city heat and brutal stop & go conditions), and my propensity to stretch the riding season into the early Canadian spring and late Canadian fall, as well as doing longer trips where rain somehow ends up unavoidable, I am definitely concerned about overcooling (which leads to greater consumption).

2. Because in for a penny, in for a pound!!! :D

I'm feeling good about how it's looking. Hopefully it fits (it should) and works well (I can't see why it wouldn't).
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Gotcha. Looks trick, looking forward to seeing it on the bike!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK gang, I have some questions for CBX lubricating system experts.

The builder who is installing the thermostat & cooler on my bike noticed that the thermostat doesn't work the way we expected. We both expected that when the oil is cold, the thermostat would shunt the flow from the "In from engine" port to the "out to engine" port, but that's not what happens. The "in from cooler" and "out to engine" ports are ALWAYS connected - flow is never obstructed along that path. When the oil is cold, the path between the "in from engine" and "out to cooler" is blocked, and it gradually becomes unblocked as the oil comes up to temp.

What we (and anyone else considering using this t-stat as part of their setup) need to know is, how will the CBX's oiling system respond to a blockage in the oil cooler circuit.

Given that icouldabeenav8 doesn't appear to have blown up or burned out his engine, my guess is that the oiling system includes a bypass valve that dumps the oil back into the sump if there is a blockage in the cooler circuit. Looking at this oil pump fiche, I see that there is a relief valve as part of the oil pump assembly (12-13-14), but it's not clear to me what the path of the oil through the system is. My understanding is that those relief valves are usually to keep oil flowing when there's a blockage in the filter - and my guess is that a blockage in the cooler circuit would cause the same result, but I would really like to hear from someone who has hands-on experience with these engines.

I just got off the phone with my mechanic, and he actually has a CBX manual at his shop. He said that it looks to him like the output from the pump is split between the engine oiling, and another circuit that's further split between the cooler and the transmission. He said that his understanding of the oiling diagram is that if there was a blockage in the cooler circuit, the result would be more oil circulating through the transmission. Does that sound right?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil: pm sent.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks a million, Mike.

The installer has never used one of these t-stats before, and he's triple-checking everything. It looks like it should work as icouldabeenav8 reported, but I'll follow up with details once mine is done (or abandoned).
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

I "love" these "PM sent messages" with happy ends ;-)
However, attached the very common thermostat´s pictures¨
. Syscrush, if I understood right your thermostat is "garage made" but should work similarly as Lochart one attached, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

piit wrote:I "love" these "PM sent messages" with happy ends ;-)
The "pm" was sent in response to a "pm" question and the "pm sent" message was a notification of that. I did not see the need or benefit to put this out in the general posting section. It is not about keeping secrets or information to a limited circle. We don't have an "Area 51" here. 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

BTW - I'm not using a homebrew solution, I'm using the current incarnation of the Earl's thermostat as outlined in icouldabeenav8's post.

Thanks very much for that diagram of the L-P t-stat - it looks incredibly similar to the Earl's one, I expect that it operates the same, or very similar.

While we're sharing info here, which side of the CBX engine is the supply line for the cooler, and which side is the return?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: While we're sharing info here, which side of the CBX engine is the supply line for the cooler, and which side is the return?
As you sit on the bike, the left side is the supply to and the right side the return from the oil cooler. The engine lubrication schematic is misleading, as it may indicate it the other way around.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The Earl's thermostat doesn't fit. I found a much better alternative from Thermostasis.

Results in my oil leak thread here.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Hi gang.

If I want to fit an oil temp gauge to my bike, where should the sensor go?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”