synthetic oil

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

synthetic oil

Post by DevonCbx »

I had asked in the past about using synthetic oil. I am running a 15W 45 Mobil 1. It really is amazing how much quieter the motor sounds and how easy the bike shifts. I will continue to use this oil.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I'm a big fan of synthetic oil. I've had nothing but positive experiences since switching to it many years ago. Some folks will tell you that the automotive synthetics are bad for our bikes, and they may be correct. Automotive oils lack some additives that our transmissions like, (sulfur?)

But, I have to wander, with the relatively low miles were riding these bikes, is it an issue?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Full synthetic "motorcycle specific" oil here....Does it make a difference, "I think" yes, due to high cylinder head temperatures found in a CBX...
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: synthetic oil

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

DevonCbx wrote:I had asked in the past about using synthetic oil. I am running a 15W 45 Mobil 1. It really is amazing how much quieter the motor sounds and how easy the bike shifts. I will continue to use this oil.

Great it is all working out for you.

I think we went through this some time ago, but below is a video link of Dave McMunn taking the cylinder off my 80 for the first time at somewhere between 85,000 and 100,000 miles (estimate because the speedo cable was broke for 5+ years)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_u-D4vfUjw

I used Mobil 1 15w 45 since it was introduced, did not change oil at recommended times and this motor spent alot of time near or above redline......yet in the video clearly shows the cylinder and pistons in near perfect condition after all these miles.

Only downside I noticed with Mobil 1 15w 45 over all these miles was a slight wetness/ever so slight weeping at the valve cover gasket and a few other gaskets. Infact this stopped da dawgie from winning all the rally bike shows it was entered ... :lol:...actually I do not recall it ever being entered ....but could be wrong.

This type of "first hand" tangible experience/results you reported and by other CBXers related to CBXs trumps any article in my view and is one of the most important facets of this site we all can share and contribute.

Great to hear feedback like this......so many ask for help on our forums .....and we never hear from them on the matter again so no one learns what works and what does not.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

CBXJOHN
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXJOHN »

My '81 has had MOBIL 1 15W-50 since new, as well, 60K on the clock AND STILL RUNNING PERFECT, original Clutch too!!!!

John
I LOVED MARLINTON WVA, SO MUCH, I MOVED 525 MILES JUST TO BE CLOSER............

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

CBXJOHN wrote:My '81 has had MOBIL 1 15W-50 since new, as well, 60K on the clock AND STILL RUNNING PERFECT, original Clutch too!!!!
That's great . . . . but the same can be said (with twice as many miles) for hundreds of motorcyles running regular oil

I think synthetic is a big plus for any air cooled engine . . . . but it would be motorcycle specific oil for me

Don

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Interesting reading from someone you can trust about why automotive synthetics aren't the best thing for your motorcycle

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... oroil.html

For those who can't be bothered to read the whole thing . . . . just make sure your synthetic is labeled 'JASO MA' and you're good to go

Don

Douglas
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Douglas »

alimey4u2 wrote:Full synthetic "motorcycle specific" oil here....Does it make a difference, "I think" yes, due to high cylinder head temperatures found in a CBX...
hey-Hey!!!,
If y'all will recall the Scientific American write-up done when Mobil 1 was new( and only available in 5W-30 ) they showed remarkable tolerance to heat. In my '82 I ran their 15W-50 and found an excellent performer. I tried some other 'motorcycle-specific' synthetics of the same weight and found the Mobil to retain its smoooooth shifting far longer than any of the rest. Valve adjustments/inspections revealed the typical pale brown patina on the inside of the motor and nothing else. I also run their stuff in my Cummins Turbo Diesel and am quite pleased with it. No turbo bearing issues and that beastie has some serious miles on it( it is a 1991 Gen 1).
cheers,
Douglas

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”