gas boil in tank

peter chechotko
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

gas boil in tank

Post by peter chechotko »

alright, here s the skinny. i have 2 , 1979, s. one an early model, that when the engine is warm, and you fill up the tank. within a few minutes, fuel will expand and gush out of the filler spout. the late model does not do this.???? i was thinking of , getting some heat barrier material for the bottom of the tank. has anyone tried this, or are there any other solutions besides. running less fuel in?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hmmmm..When you say fuel is expanding & gushing out of the filler spout, me thinks that air is expanding forcing the fuel up & out... I have a 1980 model & have never witnessed this phenomenon, although I never fill when on the centerstand thus leaving a larger air gap. The reality I feel, is that you are filling the tank up too much...
Educate me here fellas, did the early tanks have filler stand pipes ??
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Never had this experience. My guess is that the gas cap vent is clogged, and/or you're filling the tank too full although I never seem to be able to fill mine all the way no matter how much fuel I try to get in there. As for heat shielding material, it doesn't get (that) hot Peter. :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

peter chechotko
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

gas boil

Post by peter chechotko »

yup yer right boys , gas cap was problem, switched caps, all good.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

You didn't wait two years to try this did you? :lol: :P :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Strangely we had the same situation at the Worldwide CBX Mega Rally... Carl had had the same problem with a loaner bike. We were at at Burger King when we were alerted to a gas overflowing problem.

I said: ( In a deep sage like voice) "Park it in the shade".. To which Carl went forth & parked it in the shade. Low & behold... The eruption stopped forthwith... The deciples looked upon me & gave me the name... Nostradumbass.. :lol:
ICOA # 656

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”