79 Clutch Won't fully disengage

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 Clutch Won't fully disengage

Post by jt »

So I have another issue that popped up, The clutch will not fully disengage, New sport kit short clutch cable(aftermarket DSS). I've rode the bike several times and was very smooth shifting. All of sudden cannot put in gear with motor running as it just dies luckily have the habit of two fingers on front brake. In gear you can rock it and it will start to roll but clutch is dragging. I've adjusted it 9 ways from sunday and no luck. I did have the cover off to have it vapor blasted. What do I need to look for when I have the cover off again? When cable is adjusted it is all the way to the end at the clutch pivot arm. How do you know when the the cup on the adjusting bolt is catching the clutch rod lifter. I do see the the adjusting nut moving inward when pulling in clutch lever?

As always Thanks for any support.
JT
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 79 Clutch Won't fully disengage

Post by bobcat »

Did you readjust the lifter (center of clutch cover) after you had the cover off ?

Adj. the lifter first, then take the slack out of the cable.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

The cup will catch the lifter, don’t sweat that. As Bobcat said, you are supposed to slack the clutch cable completely, adjust the lifter under the cover, then adjust the cable and the freeplay. I like to first put the cable adjuster at the handlebar at roughly its midpoint, then adjust the locknuts at the frame to take up the slack, Fine-tune the freeplay at the lever with that adjuster. I was just reminded that the cable is supposed to be slacked myself.

When in doubt, refer to your manual: www.cbxclub.com/manuals
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Bob, Niles,
Thanks for the reply, yes I did all they things you mention, a couple of times, no luck.
I will mention that I'm using handlebars with a CB919 clutch perch and CBX sport cable on this build but I do not see any difference using these, but IDK.
Like I said it was fine for a short time then all of sudden it was not.
Thanks again
JT
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Not sure if this is the same issue that I've had for a number of years.

I found three ways to overcome my sticky clutch, engine needs to be fully warmed up.

I never start the engine cold while it's on the side stand or no stand at all, while on the centre stand I shift from through neutral to 1st and back a number of times until it frees up and the clutch disengages.

Bring up rpm put it in 1st and apply rear brake.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”