Engine build guide

gladders
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Engine build guide

Post by gladders »

Hi all,
What is the best engine build guide please?
Cheers
Gladders

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Engine build guide

Post by Marten »

Peter Roses youtubechannel: Digital Pizza is a good startđź‘Ť
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda CBX1000 1982, project.
Honda XL250 75, project.

gladders

Post by gladders »

Cheers Marten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Pete’s channel IS excellent.

Paul Jennings has also produced a restoration guide, but I do not recall how deeply it goes into engine work.

Copied from Facebook:

Update as of 22nd April:

• I have now shipped 250 books, my thanks to all you "early adopters" who took a chance and bought it - my sincere thanks!

• Every book that has been paid for has been shipped - apologies that it took a while!

• If you have paid and not heard from me, or the book is overdue then please contact me.

• From here on in, I should be able too keep up with orders. I have both spiral and hardback books ready to ship.

My thanks again to all those that have bought the book so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------

An update from my previous posts on the Honda CBX 1000 Restoration Guide - it is now available to order.

About the Book

I have been restoring CBXs for close on 10 years, and decided to write down my experiences to help others who are looking to do the same. The guide is primarily a guide to restoring a CBX, but also helps those who are looking to maintain them. Additionally, it provides information which would be useful to those looking to buy a CBX.

It primarily covers the 1979 / Z model but also covers the 1980 / A model to a large extent (the differences are highlighted). Most of the content is relevant to the prolink models, but it DOES NOT include any prolink specific material.

The guide is 300 pages, and is intended to augment the Honda Factory Shop Manual – it does NOT replace it. It includes stuff not included in the FSM, and highlights things that are covered by it that you need to look out for.

The guide is available in two formats (exactly the same content in both):

- A hardback “coffee table” version

- A spiral bound softback “workshop” version

Pricing (excluding postage) is ÂŁ35 for the spiral bound version, and ÂŁ45 for the hardback version.

For those that want to buy a copy (thank you!), then please read the rest of this post carefully – sorry, it is very long!

==========================================

I will be doing all the processing around payments and postage myself in order to keep the price of the books down. Given the level of interest I have had, this is likely going to be a huge undertaking so I need your help in making the process as efficient as possible.

I will have the spiral bound copies ready to go early next week (5th April), and the hardback copies will be available early the following week (12th April). By all means order now, and I will process your order when I have the books – I will only ask for payment when I am ready to send a book out to you.

It is going to take me most (if not all) of April to process your orders, and get the books out to you. So, my first request is please be patient!

International postage is crazy expensive – the books are close to 2KG each. I will charge you actual costs for your particular order, but some indicative prices:

- US postage - ÂŁ27 (standard), ÂŁ17 (slow, and I mean really slow)

- Europe postage - ÂŁ16 (standard)

- UK postage - ÂŁ7 (standard)

Note that sending more than one book in a single package doesn’t save as much on postage as you may think. For example, the cost of sending two books to the US is just over £40.

I am geared up to process single book orders – I have bought packaging which fits a single book and have a postal company lined up to collect the parcels. As a result, I will be giving priority to those wanting single books – which will cover the vast majority of private buyers.

For those who really need more than one book, I will get to you but it may take a while – I should have (more than) enough books to go around, so you just need to be patient. When I get chance, I will get you a postage quote for the books you want, and they will be sent together as a single order.

Alternatively, if you want both spiral and hardback versions for example:

- Send two separate orders (one for each), and they will be processed and sent out individually.

I am sending the books out using UK Royal Mail, and so I am constrained by what they offer:

- They have a 2KG weight limit, hence the focus on single books

- They post to most (but probably not all) countries.

If you are in one of the countries not supported by Royal Mail, I will let you know when I get your order. Hopefully, I will still be able to get a book to you, but it may be a while before I get chance to find an alternative courier.

On international postage, this is way beyond my control. Most packages will arrive on time, some will take (a lot) longer than you would like, and a small number may well disappear without trace. Be patient, if a package is lost you will get your money back when I get mine back from the postal company.

Payment will be using PayPal:

- I will only take “friends and family” payment, none of us need to make PayPal any richer!

- Payment (to me) will be in ÂŁs, you take care of the currency exchange.

- If you don’t have PayPal, my apologies. Maybe find someone who does to make the payment for you, or perhaps in the future I will accept alternative methods of payment.

The order process is very simple:

1. Send me an email with your name, full postal address (including your country) and what book(s) you want

2. When you get to the front of the queue, I will send you a price including postage.

3. You pay me with PayPal, and let me know when you’ve paid it.

4. I send out the book(s) and let you know it’s on the way – should be a day or so after I get payment.

Please don’t flood me with emails. It’s not that I don’t want to chat, I just need to focus as much time as possible getting the books out to you. Bear in mind I will be processing upwards of 500 orders – a “1 minute email” x 500 is close on 10 hours of my time!

I only need (want!) 3 emails from you:

1. Your initial order (please be clear on what you need, if I need to follow up with you it will slow your order down)

2. To let me know you have paid with PayPal (I do need this email to trigger the next stage of processing)

3. Optionally – to let me know you have received the book and any feedback on it!

You will only get 2 emails from me:

1. Price and payment instructions for your order (sent when I am ready to process it – be patient)

2. To let you know it’s on the way

I will include any tracking information available when I let you know it’s been sent. Use this to see where it is – don’t ask me, that’s all the information I will have. If the package really has got lost, then let me know, I will do everything I can to get our money back.

There is no need to respond to this post, or send me a PM or even a “friend request”, just order as described here.

Apologies if I sound a bit “grumpy”, I just want to get all the books out to you as quickly as I can - I can then get back to restoring CBXs which has stopped while I’ve been doing the book!

=============================

Given all the above, if you (still) want to buy a book, then send an email containing:

- Full Name

- Full postal address

- What book(s) you want

To: CBXRestorationGuide@btinternet.com

I really appreciate you buying one!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you are looking to just do a stock rebuild, the FSM is about as good as it gets.

Dave

gladders

Post by gladders »

Hi Dave
I have a pdf of the official shop manual for the '81/82 model is that what you are referring to?
Gladders

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

As Nils said above I have written a CBX Restoration guide.

The starting point is the FSM - that covers pretty much everything you need. My Restoration guide augments that - lots of detail on engine builds and highlights stuff that isn't covered, or is easily overlooked.

I would like to think the guide is worth having ;-)

Paul.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”