ANOTHER CLUTCH ISSUE

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ANOTHER CLUTCH ISSUE

Post by itsacbx »

Haya all....
I spoke at length to Jeff Bennetts today and after being unable to come up with a combined answer, he suggested I post and ask for commentary.
Background: 79 engine, fully rebuilt. New drive chain/camchains, gasket sets, rings and all the usual new parts.

THE CLUTCH: The clutch basket has had the rivets drilled out and the six centre new-rubber cushions installed by previous owner.

When I install the clutch I dont have any movement at the lever, meaning the clutch isnt disengaging. I thought at first the clutch assy wasnt fully on the shaft so I pulled it off and re-installed the entire affair......

Ive checked to make sure the clutch drive gear is properly engaging/meshing with both the primary gear and the oil pump drive.
The one washer is on correctly- dish facing out. I have the long bush/sleeve, as required for the early clutch.
The nut when tightened is level with the end of the shaft, give or take a few 'thou....
The two shoulder bolts are in the correct holes.
7 driven plates; one B plate on the outside; all steel plates are flat and clean and smooth
The 6-bolt spring plate is installed right way out.

Ive noted when the 6 bolt spring cover is installed properly, the cup that holds the actuator pin is jammed solid and the bearing also wont turn.
Have I got a cup from a later model that is longer? Based on my simple research it doesnt appear there is any difference between the cup through the years.
Thats my problem in a nutshell.
Help please!!
Al
IMG_8118.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: ANOTHER CLUTCH ISSUE

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Someplace to start!
194C61AD-DC6D-40B0-98AC-E2ECAE24F054.jpeg
62BB5F42-101F-4713-A84B-6FC0C41457F1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

damn this is gonna be embarrassing....... :violin:
I pulled the clutch cover off my 80 engine and shazzam, it hit me like a MIke Tyson punch in the face.......
I had the clutch spring retainer plate on the 79 on backwards! Cue the walk of shame back to my workshop and the installation of the 79 clutch and quietly close up the engine......
Clutch works perfectly! As does the rest of the bike also. Thats been one long and drama filled restoration. Now the 1980 will seem easy by comparison!
Al

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

We've all been down that road!! All's well that ends well! Good for another happy ending. Have fun.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

All’s well that ends well!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I guess 'no comment' on how that could possibly happen, but just goes to show we can beat our heads against the wall trying to come up with an answer to a problem and never account for something like this. Glad you found it though.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Can I ask a question - the Primary drive gear needs to align with the gear at the back of the clutch basket but there is another gear directly behind the primary drive gear, should that be aligned with the primary drive gear? And therefore, should the clutch basket gear also align with that at the same time? Thanks

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

The scissors gear needs to align on assembly. Acts as a damper to keep the noise of straight cut gears to a minimum.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”