MAIN BEARING QUESTION

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MAIN BEARING QUESTION

Post by itsacbx »

hey y'all,
Im helping a friend rebuild his 80 engine and he raised a question I thought I throw out for commentary....
4 of the main bearings have noticeable marks on them which suggests it not wise to just reassemble the engine with the existing bearings. When I last checked he hadnt dismantled the rods but I suspect there will be similar degradation. Mileage is about 50,000 [miles not km].
His question is - if he buys the identical bearing as fitted when new is that a satisfactory answer to improve clearances and prolong the life of the engine? This will be one of many bikes he owns and it likely wont see more than a few hundred miles each year of gentle wandering around the 'burbs. His oil of choice is Shell or Casterol 20-50 mineral oil, changed every 1500miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.
Al

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: MAIN BEARING QUESTION

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Get the Brown shells for the crank Al, like most things Honda was anal when it came down to clearances, also remember they were working with Dino oil, not the blends we have now.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

thanks Jeff, ill pass it on to him....
Enjoy Daytona!
Al

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

What am I missing here? When replacing bearings, you can often see the color still present on the shell. Whether you can see the color or not, you verify by cross-referencing the crank journal code and the crankcase code what size, or color of bearing you need. That's the size bearing you should get. Yes, it is true that there are very small differences in bearing size, but why mess with what works?

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I forgot to add that you must Plastigauge every bearing before final assembly to be sure you've got it right and/or there is no previously undetected wear in a journal.

Dave

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

the colours on the originals were still visible, so he has purchased all new ones in the same colours. We will plastigauge them as well before final assembly.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

As I said, the FSM cross-reference chart should be double-checked so you know if something odd has been used.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”