Cruizinimage piston rings

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Cruizinimage piston rings

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Seems I’m in need of a freshen-up (new rings) on my 67.5mm. Cruzinimage big-bore kit.
Apparently, the kit-supplied rings are of inferior quality(?).
I have tried numerous outlets other than CI to no avail.
Other members have mentioned availability from other suppliers. Looking for info on those, manufacturers/part #s and such would be greatly appreciated.
My particulars are: 67.5 piston, 1.2mm. width for each of the compression rings, 2.5mm. combined for three piece oil-control set (rails and expander).
Hope you can help, thanks.

Mike C.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cruizinimage piston rings

Post by CBX-tras »

Total Seal Piston Rings.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Total Seal Piston Rings.
Thanks, but I checked their catalog and found none that match my requirements. Would you have a part number?

Mike C.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Try calling their tech line.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

If you can find a helpful tech. rep. I believe you have to send them a piston
to have a custom set made. At what cost I don't know. I believe the life of the
rings has a lot to do with the cyl. wall finish and set up piston/cyl. clearance.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Cruizinimage piston ringss

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

It’s costly to have a custom set made, I had a set of Venolia short skirt slappers, 1300 cc CBX pistons I bought from Dave Severins, no rings! I ended up selling them because I couldn’t find a stock set of rings for them.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Try calling their tech line.
Spoke with a young man @ Wiseco. He mentioned that if the slugs were not manufactured with them then their rings would not fit 😞 As well, looking through their Powersports catalog there is a listing for a 67.5mm. ring set (2658XC). However, further sleuthing revealed the XC rings’ dimensions as being incompatible.

JE’s catalog was no better. Supposedly two listings for 67.5mm. slugs. However, when I looked at them they were actually 67.4mm. No matter because, again, their dimensions were no bueno.

Checked with a number of other suppliers, all with the same sad results.
It’s costly to have a custom set made, I had a set of Venolia short skirt slappers, 1300 cc CBX pistons I bought from Dave Severins, no rings! I ended up selling them because I couldn’t find a stock set of rings for them.
Yup, copy that !

The costs associated with considering custom-made are prohibitive. Besides, I could buy sleeves/complete piston kit & rebore for less.
Checking on shipping costs with Cruizinimage at the moment. Updates to follow as they come in.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Resell them and go with the Wiseco set, if they are available, Summit Racing had them a year or so ago but I don’t see them listed today!

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Resell them and go with the Wiseco set, if they are available, Summit Racing had them a year or so ago but I don’t see them listed today!
Can’t justify doing that. I’m counting on Cruizinimage to come through. Their original shipping quote was prohibitive. Waiting on another one.
Meantime, folks are always asking about the quality of their kits (Cruizin’). Well, while I hope to add to my old build thread in the near future, for now here’s a pic of one of my pistons with 70,000km. on it. The other five look equally minty! You can still clearly see the machining marks on the skirt. Keep in mind I’m not shy about visiting my redline on, more than, frequent occasions. I only had to glass bead the carbon off the crowns. The ring lands are untouched, there was no build up of any kind in any of them.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I’m sure it will work out for you, I’m just going from what others have reported on the CB1100F forum about CI going radio silent on complaints with him not returning any correspondence.
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Mike,
I would check with Mike Nixon to see if he may have a source, He noted on his web page that the pistons are good quality but said the rings were not up to standards.

Read here
https://motorcycleproject.com/text/cyli ... right.html

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/ ... _kits.html
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You can check with Bob, owner of CBXPerformance!

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Mike, Been searching the web, cause I have 2 sets of Cruizingimage piston for use down the line at some point and would like to know what work best if you find a solution. If you do please post here on the ICOA website.
See this link encouraging info there if I read it right. I hope the vendor mention has what you need.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10955

https://imdpistons.com/
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Mike, Been searching the web, cause I have 2 sets of Cruizingimage piston for use down the line at some point and would like to know what work best if you find a solution. If you do please post here on the ICOA website.
See this link encouraging info there if I read it right. I hope the vendor mention has what you need.
Thanks JT great info. I especially liked this part.
The stock Japanese street bike piston pin clip is designed to do something really interesting. As the pin drifts side to side, it taps the clip. The chamfer on the pin's ends meets the clip and actually forces it deeper into its groove. As I say, this is designed in. Unfortunately, nearly all of the aftermarket piston pin clips I have seen are absent this technology. Often, there is a extra tang on the clip that interferes with the ability of the pin to guarantee its clips are fully seated. Worse, the tang can actually do the reverse! It can promote clip loosening, as the pin, in its normal lateral movement, is more likely to nudge this tang instead of the body of the clip. For this reason, I refuse to use that type or piston pin clip.
Guess which clips are in my ‘X’ 😵💫

Stockers are inbound.
You can check with Bob, owner of CBXPerformance!
Thanks Jeff, I’ll have a look.

OEM clips are inbound 😎

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Nobody I know has had any success in getting Cruzinimage to sell them rings. Piston and ring sets only, and any complaining about it has resulted in an outright ban. I hope that changes with you Mike.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”