Cruizinimage piston rings

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Cruizinimage piston rings

Post by bobcat »

I too have 2 CI kits I would like to find optional rings for. I've jumped through all kind
of hoops trying to get total seal rings only to hit a brick wall. One possibility that came
to mind was going to the suppliers to the Japanese motorcycle industry.* I was rebuilding
a SOHC 750 for a customer and when I got the OEM rings for it I noticed there were two
different brands. One pair was Riken and I don't remember the other. I looked up Riken
and they are a Japanese co. that produces rings and still in existence. I haven't had a chance
to explore any further but it might be a possibility for a quality (good enough for Honda) source
for odd size rings. Someone like Riken just needs to be convinced there is a sustainable market
for replacements (if they don't already make them).

*like ART supplies pistons to all four major Japanese brand bikes.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Riken was/is a supplier to Honda.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

NobleHops wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:34 pm
Nobody I know has had any success in getting Cruzinimage to sell them rings. Piston and ring sets only, and any complaining about it has resulted in an outright ban. I hope that changes with you Mike.
Thanks for that, Nils.
I guess I just got lucky. Messaged Monday night, got a reply from Mitsuo Tuesday morning. Went like that for the next two days as we sorted out the shipping costs. I have to say that Mitsuo was most helpful.
The CI ring set is inbound 😎

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

bobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:00 am
I too have 2 CI kits I would like to find optional rings for. I've jumped through all kind
of hoops trying to get total seal rings only to hit a brick wall. One possibility that came
to mind was going to the suppliers to the Japanese motorcycle industry.* I was rebuilding
a SOHC 750 for a customer and when I got the OEM rings for it I noticed there were two
different brands. One pair was Riken and I don't remember the other. I looked up Riken
and they are a Japanese co. that produces rings and still in existence. I haven't had a chance
to explore any further but it might be a possibility for a quality (good enough for Honda) source
for odd size rings. Someone like Riken just needs to be convinced there is a sustainable market
for replacements (if they don't already make them).

*like ART supplies pistons to all four major Japanese brand bikes.
I feel ya, Bob. Reached out to them and these fine folks as well: https://www.npr.co.jp/english/
No bueno, neither group replied.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

To be clear, I’m after replacing the rings not because they have worn/lack of compression. Rather, my cylinders have fine scratches on the walls that extend well past the swept area of the rings, and have no evidence of being caused by either the rings nor piston themselves. It’s actually a mystery. It would appear that some very fine debris in the oil was the culprit, though there is no similar wear on any of the crank/rod bearing shells, nor roller bearings. I change my oil & filter regularly, and check the pan every second oil change.
At this point I prefer to do a quick hone of the bores and put in some new rings to, hopefully, correct for this.
I had thought the marks may have been caused by the engine overheating/ material transfer from micro-welds of stressed rings/piston skirts. I had been on a benefit run for Cancer. We had been in ‘parade mode’ for an extended period on an extremely hot day. The motor started to knock slightly and then stalled out. I let it cool for a good long while and opened the motor to check once home. I did not check the bores at the time, but the mains and rods were minty. The thing is the skirts and ring condition do not support that assumption, they are in fine form.
As I said, a mystery.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

A side note - thanks Mike for reminding everyone why these bikes don't do well in stop-and-go traffic.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You’re not using an airbox if I remember correctly, could dirt have entered your pods, what brand pods are you running ?

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

daves79x wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:20 pm
A side note - thanks Mike for reminding everyone why these bikes don't do well in stop-and-go traffic.

Dave
De nada 😉
Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 pm
You’re not using an airbox if I remember correctly, could dirt have entered your pods, what brand pods are you running ?
Deffo, that’s the smoking gun. Still using no-name pods, but of much better quality/surface area than the budget ones I had rolled with for many a kilometre 🥺 I mean, the bores aren’t all that bad, but you know…

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

bikeymikey748 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:34 am
NobleHops wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:34 pm
Nobody I know has had any success in getting Cruzinimage to sell them rings. Piston and ring sets only, and any complaining about it has resulted in an outright ban. I hope that changes with you Mike.
Thanks for that, Nils.
I guess I just got lucky. Messaged Monday night, got a reply from Mitsuo Tuesday morning. Went like that for the next two days as we sorted out the shipping costs. I have to say that Mitsuo was most helpful.
The CI ring set is inbound 😎
I'm happy for you AND me. We busted a set of CI rings and had to break into a second set of pistons and rings to assemble an engine. If I can get another set of rings then I have another set of pistons, if you see what I mean. Very glad to hear that. Side note, those are very much "file to fit", we spent half a day adjusting ring end gaps on those.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Your persistence paid off, buy two sets, they’re small.LOL

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

NobleHops wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:38 pm
I'm happy for you AND me. We busted a set of CI rings and had to break into a second set of pistons and rings to assemble an engine. If I can get another set of rings then I have another set of pistons, if you see what I mean. Very glad to hear that. Side note, those are very much "file to fit", we spent half a day adjusting ring end gaps on those.
Hopefully, your interaction with Mitsuo san will go just as easily as my own. How did you manage to break a ring? Those brittle second compression rings always make me sweat 🥺
Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:31 pm
Your persistence paid off, buy two sets, they’re small.LOL
Yup going in the ‘win’ column for sure.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Glad you got it sorta out with Mitsuo. !
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

jt wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 am
Glad you got it sorta out with Mitsuo. !
Well then…that’s two of us 😎
Thanks jt.

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Just curious as to why it's an issue with CI not to sell ring sets....he still would be making money and have happy(er) customers???
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Apparently he IS now selling them. Happy news.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”