alternator shim

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

alternator shim

Post by itsacbx »

Hey all, well into my 79 rebuild and found today that I had an extra one of the shaped washers normally used to guide/locate the spring behind the drive clutch in the alternator. The item is somewhat squashed and would appear to have been used as an extra shim to reduce slip/noise. I am going to finish the rebuild and once its running check alternator output and noise and decide whether to add a regular boring flat shim back into the system, or not.......

The rest of the rebuild is coming along fine, now I have to tackle the cylinders.
Al
IMG_7920.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: alternator shim

Post by NobleHops »

You might find a useful pearl or two in here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 436&type=3
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

indeed I did thank you...
Al

oldxrider1*
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by oldxrider1* »

Are you going to keep the non-fluted studs, or switch to the less-prone-to-fracture '80 and newer ones? With everything down to parade rest, this is the ideal time to convert. Back a few years at a Marlinton Rally, a newbie rider with a '79 and non-fluted studs had one fracture, and Dave McMunn spent many hours in helping disassemble, replace, and re-assembly. Luckily, the fluted studs were available somewhere! Huge Job!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

oldxrider1* wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Are you going to keep the non-fluted studs, or switch to the less-prone-to-fracture '80 and newer ones? With everything down to parade rest, this is the ideal time to convert. Back a few years at a Marlinton Rally, a newbie rider with a '79 and non-fluted studs had one fracture, and Dave McMunn spent many hours in helping disassemble, replace, and re-assembly. Luckily, the fluted studs were available somewhere! Huge Job!
What year Marlinton was it, one of the Nationals? Dave also split the cases on a motor as a tech session, was the the motor?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The engine cases are of a later version with the serial number behind cylinder 5 and not on the primary housing. This means the studs actually should be of the "knurled' type. The picture may not show that clearly.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Dan (I think that's who was asking) - those are spiral studs already, as Mike suggests. I'm not sure what we fixed at Marlinton, but we did tear an engine almost completely down. I think it was maybe a blown base gasket.

Jeff - that was a engine I have for a demo at tech sessions. Not sure if it was the same Marlinton event as the above teardown.

Dave

oldxrider1*

Post by oldxrider1* »

Dave and Jeff,
It was one of the early (1999 or 2000 I think). Bob Steele's '79 did have a blown or leaking head or base gasket, but it was discovered that at least one non-fluted stud had fractured. You did a yeoman's job to get and fit replacements, and then we learned that he had sold it shortly afterwards.
(Per my very weak and old memory)...........

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Excellent, the rallies all seem to run together over time, staying up until sunrise has a way of doing that.LOL!

God bless, maybe we can get together again at another rally down the road, Barber is on my bucket list!
Sorry for the thread jack!

Jeff

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Dave, if you ever want to host a tech session out here, my shop is certainly available for the purpose and I have plenty of stuff to demonstrate on. We could do a dandy 3-day tech camp I think.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

yep these are the spiral studs. My buddy with the few nos spares has a few new ones so Ill replace the ones that have some surface rust, but otherwise due to the projected very low annual mileage this bike will see, I wont be changing anything more....
Cylinders are off being honed, pistins are fitted with new rings and almost ready to go to the next stage of the reassembly.
Oh and carbs are all back together and ready to go on some day soon.
Spring is only about 6 months away in north western Alberta so I'm well ahead of schedule. I bought a 72 Suzuki TS250 trail bike last year so as soon as the weather hits +10 [about 50F] regularly, Ill dig 'er out and fang around the snowbanks for a while.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”