Oil Gallery Cap Seized

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil Gallery Cap Seized

Post by Hamza »

Hi guys,

Started working again on my engine after 8 months...been able to spend 2 or 3 hours daily and hope to squeeze in a bit more considering holiday season is approaching!!

So I was opening all the oil path/gallery caps to put in new O-rings. All of them opened fine, except for the one on the Right side of the lower crankcase. I managed to damage the hex head on it...damn thing is on tight...I tried heating it up with a heat gun for about 15 minutes and then tried cracking it....no luck...i opened the cap on the front to get a view and it seems that the threads are galled...I have taken a photo also but they came out rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise on the attachments...

I wanted an opinion/advise...I was wondering if it may be wise to leave it like that...even though I have spent good $ on spares for a ground up restoration and it seems wrong to leave it in there considering I have stripped down each nut and bolt so to speak......at the same time I am wary that if it is seized most likely the threads will not be good enough to screw in a new one....I will most likely need to drill out the threads and chuck in a bush then re-tap it so an original cap will fit in.........

I would really like to test it to see if it leaks...if I cannot then I am contemplating making my peace with it and moving on...the thought of putting sealant on the outside :o if it does leak did cross my mind......... :(

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Oil Gallery Cap Seized

Post by Hamza »

Photos..
Oil Path 1.jpg
Cap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Put some real heat on it, propane or map gas!

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Thanks Jeff....I have a propane torch..how long of an exposure is safe do you think?

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Its a butane torch.....should work?

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

It would be nice if you had the correct socket and impact wrench, some decent heat around the boss/case and a couple taps and it should spin.

Make at least 4 or 5 slow passes around the boss with the heat, try to loosen it, repeat if needed.

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

So i used a 14 mm socket on it..a 13 mm was too small...tried a small impact but thats what really ruined the hex head on the cap.....I will be giving it another shot tomorrow morning as the workshop is at my office...I will give it a healthy dose of heat...is there any danger of damaging the aluminum crank case though if I give it too much heat?

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

See my answer over at CBX World.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Since the cap is ruined, why not trim away the flange? That would likely get rid of the material that's giving the most resistance to rotation. It might also let the hex portion fall off. If so, go in with a small tool to split the threaded portion internally. With a little care, and luck, the threads will be fine.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

A few thoughts all with some heat:
Try to find a 6-point hex socket.
Grind the face of the socket so that the hex is flush with the end face of the socket. All sockets have a 'lead-in' chamfer. The hex on the plug isn't deep enough to adequately engage the hex of the socket with the lead-in chamfer on the socket.. That's why it slips and 'chews' the cap hex without turning it.
If all else fails, try a pipe wrench.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Rick Pope wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:29 am
Since the cap is ruined, why not trim away the flange? That would likely get rid of the material that's giving the most resistance to rotation. It might also let the hex portion fall off. If so, go in with a small tool to split the threaded portion internally. With a little care, and luck, the threads will be fine.
Thanks Rick...If all else fails I might have to go down this route...

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:31 am
Grind the face of the socket so that the hex is flush with the end face of the socket. All sockets have a 'lead-in' chamfer. The hex on the plug isn't deep enough to adequately engage the hex of the socket with the lead-in chamfer on the socket.. That's why it slips and 'chews' the cap hex without turning it.
Thanks Larry..so if I understand correctly, get rid of the lead in chamfer on the socket so it grabs the hex better...Ill give this a go or maybe just torch this bad boy up and pipe wrench it...

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

I will revert back with how I go tomorrow...Thanks guys...you guys have given me confidence to get this open now and not just leave it in....

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hamza wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:21 pm
Larry Zimmer wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:31 am
Thanks Larry..so if I understand correctly, get rid of the lead in chamfer on the socket so it grabs the hex better...Ill give this a go or maybe just torch this bad boy up and pipe wrench it...
Exactly.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Hamza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Hamza »

Hi guys,

Happy to report back that a butane torch, some smacks on the side and it opened right up..had to use a set of adjustable lock pliers on the ruined hex...

Alls well that ends well...

Thank you for all the advise!!
P_20211101_133621.jpg
P_20211101_133623.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”