Cam Chain Tensioner A

PHILHOLLINGS
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Cam Chain Tensioner A

Post by PHILHOLLINGS »

Hi, Its my first post so be gentle with me please.

I'm rebuilding my CBX1000z engine in the UK and have cracks in the sprung cam chain tensioner blade which as we know are NLA, has anyone tried to use the sprung blade from the CB750/900 removed from its frame and re-riveted to the CBX frame as they look similar?

I don't have the two next to each other to compare sizes but i assume if it was possible, you guys would have done it by now.

Any input appreciated.

TIA

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cam Chain Tensioner A

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Phil.
Can't recall that particular refurb being attempted.
If you can't find new ones or good used ones you might the aftermarket option from V&H.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11586&hilit=brent

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Trying to use an F bike tensioner parts in a CBX is like trading a headache for an upset stomach.

Although Brent's tensioners at first seem a bit pricey, they're parts that you can install and never have to worry again about failure while achieving precise power transmission to the cams without oscillation.
Designed with today's understanding of what cam chains are doing while in operation and today's materials that make them almost indestructible. They'll last longer than you'll own the bike.

I helped to develop these and sell them for V&H here in the US and the America's. If you can't access the features and benefits material, PM me your email and I'll forward a copy to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BakkerCBX
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BakkerCBX »

Hi phil,

I've had a problem with my tensioner as well. The blade was broken in half.
I tried what you said, but the difference in length is too much... (it tried with the 14500-425-020 tensioner)

On ebay I found a reproduction blade (google: 14510-422-010 ebay), but this was also no succes. The guide is to weak and to small for the chain.
In the end I bought a NOS tensioner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If you don’t mind me asking, how much for the NOS tensioner?

BakkerCBX
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BakkerCBX »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:38 pm
If you don’t mind me asking, how much for the NOS tensioner?
I bought the A and the B tensioner for 700, both NOS. 1 week later got a used one in great condition for 70 :D

DaveBern

Post by DaveBern »

Hi, I'm new here, although I have had my '79 CBX for 23 years. It's been in storage for most of that time. I'm refreshing the top end, and like everyone else, have found all the rubbers to be cooked and cam chain tensioners cracked. Just wondering what the latest solutions for tensioner replacement is.
I have seen a number of options:
V & H racing set. Eye watering price.... Anyone used these with success?
Questionable reproduction blade only. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294263011285
Refurbished by Six Center Motors in the Netherlands. Anyone have feedback on these?
Refurbished by https://www.remotion.jp/parts/cbx/cbxca ... ensionera/, although they haven't answered my query.
A good second hand set (good luck...)

Of course, the refurbs don't do the B blade. member Russ adapted a CB900 b tensioner, but his thread dies out 3 1/2 years ago. Anyone know if his mod worked?

I'm keen to hear your advice.

Dave in Oz.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Greetings Dave,

I have used the V&H stuff on a non-CBX project, and it may be all he says it is, but I found it very tricky to install and adjust and not worth the aggravation.

I have a couple of sets of Remotion tensioners hoarded, have used 1 set of them. They look perfect, but we sold the bike they got installed in so I don’t have any long-term experience to report on. I’d use them again with confidence, though.

Louis Mintrone at usedcbxparts.com here in the USA sells refurbed items I think - I think he is using the 900F blade, but I’m not certain.

Anything Bert at sixcenter sells is going to be trustworthy; he builds a lot of engines and tortures his own too.

Hope some of that is useful.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

DaveBern

Post by DaveBern »

My attempt at A and B cam chain tensioners. PA46 sliders on aluminum bases. Could be a great success or a complete disaster. Time will tell.....
IMG_20230723_150937.jpg

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

I’ve just had a bad experience with the infamous V & H tensioners out of New Zealand and you couldn’t pay me to go through that again- overpriced, over complicated and over hyped - sorry!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

This was my impression of those tensioners when they were introduced. They are fine, I'm sure, if you are a bit of a machinist and fiddler, because the initial set-up and subsequent adjustment procedure is quite fiddly for most guys, at least as far as I could tell from the various descriptions I have read.

Dave

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

itsacbx wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:53 pm
I’ve just had a bad experience with the infamous V & H tensioners out of New Zealand and you couldn’t pay me to go through that again- overpriced, over complicated and over hyped - sorry!
Can you please explain what happened with your tensioners?
Regards
Andreas

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

Hi,

A few months on, I will check my engine starting with compression test, cam measuring and timing check, checking tensioners etc...
I hope that I will at least not have to dig into the bottom end.

Naturally I am interested in what to do if my tensioners are crap and I cant find reasonably priced replacements.
I don't know exactly how the OEM are made. Is the non-friction material molded over the blades or riveted to the blades?

What about Sixcenters refurbish service? What do they do to them?

DaveBern,
Interesting approach. I take it that your solution will be spring assisted and with usual lock screws. How did your ones work?
Is your guide PA 4.6 material graphite filled (it doesnt seem to be)?

I just found this interesting site with info specifically on cam chain tensioner non-friction materials.

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=292501
Own a one-man CNC shop, Building a CBX '79 with ZX-9R suspension and lots of nice custom CNC parts...
/ Peter

Jebbysan

Post by Jebbysan »

I just put an engine together using a refurbished guide from Tim's. It is high quality and molded well although I have just fired the engine so no long term info.....it comes with two pins that need to be mushroomed with a pin riveter......my riveter destroyed them so I used pins with e-clips from McMaster Carr. I see no issue here as these pieces are stationary and the pins are well made, the E-clip snaps on tight.
The guide was kinda pricy but less than the other options available. I also bought cam chains A and B from them and they are premium K&L pieces. They use these items in their own builds and that is good enough for me.

I also bought the $80 E-Bay guide from Brazil to look at it and it is not wide enough for the chain....looks like a 900 guide....so save your money there....plus it took like 3 weeks to show up.

Jebby
1979 CBX Sport Custom
1972 Corvette
1982 wife with a 1982 Z/28

Big T
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Big T »

Helpful info on the guides. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”