Clutch issue

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Clutch issue

Post by sixinoz »

My 79 CBX has had clutch drag since I redid the clutch.
Today I had the bike fully warmed up after a run, put it on centre stand, engaged 1st with engine off. I then pulled in clutch lever whilst trying to turn rear wheel. The wheel could only be turned after about 5 seconds when it seemed the plates finally disengaged. Shouldn't the clutch disengage immediately? This means that at every gear change the clutch does not fully disengage? Clutch is correctly adjusted.
I think I will have to strip it down and check stack height and everything else.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Clutch issue

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The smart guys will be along but i think they will want to know what the "redid" entailed.
New clutch rubbers, plates, fibres?

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

New Honda springs, new EBC friction plates, new Honda metal plates. Six Centre new rubber kit installed. I have the clutch apart now. All looks perfect - no overheating signs - correctly assembled. Oil is regular motorcycle oil. There are the usual grooves that the plates have worn and on the spring towers but they do not look like major wear has occurred. Should I file these flat with the risk of more play?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aftermarket clutch plates are notorious for producing drag. The plates TIMS sells do not drag and I've used them several times. No clue as to what brand they are. However, his plates tend to stick together after sitting a while and are quite hard to break loose.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Did you check the steels for flatness on a flat block? And did you soak your new EBC plates in motor oil for a day or three before installation? Both are important steps.

If your old stock fibers still measure in spec, I’d reinstall those and I predict your clutch troubles will disappear.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”