Start noise

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Start noise

Post by tazz »

Hi All can any off you help me here ok here it go when I let the bike sit for 3,more days and I go to start her after hitting the start button on 4 or 5 try that engine makes this loud noise don't know that is,do any of you? it stop then i hit start bottom again sec. or third time she makes a loud noise again i stop again sometime you hear the starter keep on turning have to hit the kill switch it stops then hit the start bottom again 3,4 time she start running with NO problem. you can turn it off then and she start right up like nothing ever happen take her out she run GREAT hit 50,60miles per hour and up smooth and she sound great. If you start her the next day you never get the BAD engine sound like she going to blow-up. This only happen went she sit for 4 or 5 day and you don't start her up. do any of you know what this sound is and why and how can it be fix. I took it to a mechanic that hows CBX and he say the valves sound good but the cab. are off synchronize the bike only as 34,000 miles. sorry for my BAD English and long paragraph.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Start noise

Post by daves79x »

Very hard to tell what you are describing, but I would say it's the starter clutch not engaging. Is this bike new to you? are you running synthetic oil? If so, change to regular oil and the starter clutch should straighten itself out.

Dave

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

I can't see why oil will make the diff.into the sound. No bike not new to me and i'm running shell rotela 5w40 oil

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

tazz: People think that synthetic oil is more "slippery" and thus creates a malfunction of the starter clutch. They also think it leaks easier. All regardless of a feature called "centistoke".

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

First, we can't even come close to helping you if we don't have a much more precise description of the problem. My starter clutch guess was just that - a guess. It is a common enough problem though. And yes, switching to synthetic oil in CBXs very often results in the starter clutch kicking out. Some guys have no problem, my personal '79 has had no problem with it for years, but I've seen and worked on several other ones that did slip with synthetic, and straightened out when going back to regular oil. It is not a figment of guys' imagination.

Dave

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Ok went I let bike sit 3 or 4 days then I go start her you hit start bottom 4,5 time giving gas you hear this loud noise inside the engine it stops then hit let go of start bottom the you hit start again 3 to 4 time at the same time you are giving gas you and you let go of start bottom you hear the starter running like it got stock on running as any of you hear is sound went you have not start your bike for 4,5 days and for the oil i'm running on the bike is rotella 5w40 I forgot to add after she starts she never make the sound again with the engine or the stater and if you starter her every day she never make the sound. Only went you let her sit 3 or more days she make the sound.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It does sound like your starter clutch is disengaging before the engine starts, or is not engaging at all. If used every day it's fine with no noise, and once running, there is no noise, then it almost has to be that. The fix is brutal though, engine out and cases split. Then finding parts.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

There's a last ditch fix before you pull the motor and split the cases, drain your oil, remove the starter, remove the oil pan! Buy some Berrymans spray carburetor cleaner or whatever you prefer and empty the can downward towards the starter clutch, it will clean the clutch rollers and springs, let the cleaner dry and put the oil pan back on, pour some motor oil in the starter mount hole to pre-oil the starter clutch, refill the motor with oil and cross your fingers!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Have had Honda DOHC-F series with the typical starter clutch woes.
At least they are easy access.

Never heard of that band-aid solution, Jeff.
Is that a CBX specific fix or is it a universal solution?

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Steve I've only tried it on the CBX, it's not a bandaid fix, it fixes stuck or slow engagement of the rollers in the starter clutch by cleaning any built up oil residue or debris! It's not going to fix a weak spring or worn roller.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Got it! Makes sense.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Ok Jeff I'm new at this one let me see if I get this right are you saying to spray carburetor cleaner were the starter gear meet the start clutch gear.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

tazz wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 pm
Ok Jeff I'm new at this one let me see if I get this right are you saying to spray carburetor cleaner were the starter gear meet the start clutch gear.
Here's a couple pics, it's tough to get to because the ring gear is facing toward you and the clutch is on the backside of it but it can be done. You're trying to free up the pins, cam rollers, springs and all the mating surfaces inside the clutch!
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Jeff are you said the hole the you can see a big gear after you remove the starter. Is the where you said spray carb cleaner and if you can't rotate the big gear how are going to get it clean.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Do any of you guys know want cause starter clutch to go bad went bike only has 30,000 mile on it and she get BABY like hell.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”