Is that all there is?

Brendand
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Is that all there is?

Post by Brendand »

Just got the CBX I've always said I have to own someday. My question is this. The DG 6/1 pipes sound fabulous at 3500 rpm on up. Almost too loud at 5000. The motor stops revving at 6000.( certainly nothing like 9000) I was told the carbs were rebuilt after sitting for 13 years, but even this was 5 years ago. Where should I start diagnosing issue. I am not a real gear head , just enough to get my self in trouble. This site is going to be invaluable to a knucklehead like me, so I thought that I would ask the experienced group here. Thanks for any ideas.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine Reving

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

What does it do when it stops?

Does it have the original air filter and airbox lid? If not, it is leaning out. Have you tried to put the choke on at 4000-5000 and see what happens?

Cheers, Tom

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

A few years ago I had cleaned my carbs and when I went for a ride the bike wouldn't pull more than 5500-6000 rpm. Ran normal to there but just like a switch going on and off, bike would just about shut off, with only momentum keeping engine turning. Back off throttle and ran fine. Turned out I had "forgot", mysteriously, to put main jets in. Sounds as if your mains are blocked as thats about the rpm they begin to do their work.

Brendand

Is that all there is

Post by Brendand »

I should add bike is a 79 w/ 9500 mi , all stock except for the pipes. I dont know about what jets might be in carbs. Starts,, idles fine although cold blooded. Seems to run very smooothly. In fact my first thought was that the tach cable was bound up, it does get real hot to the touch at the tach end, and that it was revving fine but not showing accurate rpms. Now Im not convinced. I am used to Italian twins with a sweet spot 4-6000 rpm, is it possible that I just dont know to keep on twisting until 9000 shows up? It seems to just stop pulling, where I would think it should just keep on going PS thanks already for the replies and attention!

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”