Oil cooler hose replacement

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil cooler hose replacement

Post by scottish CBX »

I think I know the answer to this question but I hope the experts out there will prove me wrong - is there a way to replace both of the oil cooler hoses without removing the air box and all that this entails - engine tilt, carbs moved away from air box etc. The problem is that the crimped ends of the oil cooler hose will not pass the air box as is, darn.

So is it just a case of tilting the engine forward, move the carbs away from the air box and then wiggle the air box away from the air cleaner to gain enough space to remove/fit the oil hoses? Of course, if I had lengths of new hose, crimps and a crimper, I could do this in-situ without all this fuss.

Inputs please. Thanks

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Oil cooler hose replacement

Post by tevan »

The best way that I have found is just to tilt engine. I make the hoses if you don’t have anyplace closer. I am in USA. I do need your ends unless you want to purchase some from me.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Tilt the motor but, just unclamp the airbox from the filter box. Remove the 2 bolts on top that go through the frame and the large band clamp between the 2. No need to touch the carbs.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Many thanks. I'm glad that I only have to change these once as the originals lasted 45 years and I won't be the one to change them ever again.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I know what you mean. Once and done.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

tilting the engine worked fine, I used a block of wood secured to a scissor jack in front of the two holes in the crankcases at the bottom - just in front of the sump pan and just behind the oil filer housing. I did discover that despite loosening the single jubilee clip for the connection from the air box to the inlet manifold, the manifold pulled itself away from the airbox ever so slightly at the top. Not to worry, some WD40 and jacking the engine back into place it lined up again. A very blunt screwdriver was used to gently coax the rubber back into it's seat, let's hope it is still sealed properly.

So if you are attempting this, loosen the one jubilee clip and then ease off the rubber between the air filter box and inlet manifold, this will make life easier and will be a much better guarantee of getting a reliable seal afterwards.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You can also fiddle that rubber into position by removing the air filter and reaching through the air filter chamber, guide it from the inside.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”