Steering Shake On Early Models

Ed Townsend
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Steering Shake On Early Models

Post by Ed Townsend »

Finally got the front end of my "new" 1979 put back together with Works springs, repacked head bearings, new Bridgestone, and fork brace and experienced a very noticeable handlebar "wag" at low (crawling) speed. Made me real nervous so I replaced the head bearings and just came back from an attempted ride. If anything, the oscillation or "over center" feel is worse as I try to make any directional change. Makes my mile ride in loose gravel real exciting. Any ideas on what to check next? Haven't even got out to the highway yet - too spooky at low speed. Thanks for the help.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

shake

Post by Mike Nixon »

Is the problem most noticable when decelerating? Between 50 mph down to 20 mph? If so, take a look here.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jeff Dean »

Ed, I too thought of Mikes excellent article on this very subject. Its very informitive and I'll be re-torquing my headset with these instructions. Good luck.

Ed Townsend

steering shake

Post by Ed Townsend »

Thanks, guys. Readjusted the head bearings and problem disappeared. Bike actually handles surprisingly well on the mountain roads above Denver. Can't say enough about how helpful the folks at Works Performance were in tailoring a front spring/rear shock setup for me. Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”