Fork seals on '82

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Fork seals on '82

Post by cross »

When assembling my forks, after the bush goes "backup plate" I think its called, that's rounded on one ide and more flat on the other. On one of my forks, rounded side was toward the bushing and on the other fork toward the seal.
Does anyone know what the correct orientation is?

:text-thankyouyellow:
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Toward the seal.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thanks Dave, it was impossible to tell from the parts list.

I do have one more question regarding the front sprocket as it seems that there is a part missing.
When i unscrewed the bolt and removed plate guide, behind it was a washer, big rubber ring and small rubber seal.
Looking on the diagram in the repair manual, there seems to be a part behind the plate guide instead of the washer.
On the Bike Bandit, parts diagram, that part is not there, only plate guide and small rubber seal and if i mount it like this, chain rubs against the plate guide so i guess that the washer is there serves as a spacer.
The washer is big enough to only cover the shaft part, looking at the part that I'm missing it should be pressing against the sprocket not the shaft.
What do you think, should i find larger washer or just use what was there?
Also, big rubber ring seems to be on Honda's chart too but not on Bike Bandit's
:text-thankyouyellow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Another mystery, so it seems.
The part you are referring to, Sasha is indeed shown in the 81- 82 service manual on pages 11-0 and 11-13, but not in the 79 manual and not in the 79 or 81-82 parts catalog. So I cannot find a part-number or description.
I have to check the micro-fiche, which I cannot do right now. It seems to be an elusive part.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I guess but it can be fabricated rather easily i just would like to know what is it pressing against, shaft or sprocket or both.
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Everything was functioning correctly or at least i would like to think so and could live it as is only i would like to do it properly and figure out which part sits against which part and then i can make something that would work.
Thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sorry, instead of the "quote" I hit the "edit" button and this post appeared inside your second to last post:

To me, it looks like a "cup" the guide plate sits in. As it is shown on the outside of the sprocket and has a large inside diameter, I would think it should press against the sprocket, the same way the guide plate and/or washer do, when you tighten the bolt. It could be made of plastic. Right now, it seems to be a "phantom" piece appearing only in the Prolink service manual. I wonder if it exists at all. I checked several other Honda parts catalogs from the same period (CB-F bikes) and none of them has a part like this. I wonder if it exists. I will also check my boxes of loose parts that I have accumulated over the years as by-products of specific purchases and see if anything remotely similar is in there.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote:Everything was functioning correctly or at least i would like to think so and could live it as is only i would like to do it properly and figure out which part sits against which part and then i can make something that would work.
Thank you

Both my 79 and the 80, which sit there with the engine tilted and the sprocket cover off, just have a washer under the bolt, that sits against the sprocket. Both worked fine and I would think your Prolink should do also. I cannot get to my 81 to check what the situation there is.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

That is the way i put it back, just small O ring and guide plate but the chain is rubbing against the guide plate.
I noticed scratches on the chain after i took it for a ride.
I know that this bike has both sprockets with different number of teeth. Previous owner told me that makes bike quicker.
Not sure if that has anything to do with it, if this sprocket is thicker then stock.
Hmm, he also gave me set of stock sprockets, i should check that.
When looking for parts, would you by any chance have the M8 allen bolt that holds passenger grab handle?
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Ok, i figured it out,
I opened the box with spares from previous owner and along with sprockets, were both part that were missing.
Spare sprocket, which i was told is stock, has a lip on one side and its flat on the other.
Sprocket on the bike, has few 8th's of lip on both sides.
Hmm, is chain even aligned properly like this, have to investigate further.
Thanks for the effort!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I still cannot find a part-number for this thing. The 81/82 microfiche I have, does not show it. The guide plate is a -469- part and is shown on the 1980 microfiche, which means it was probably introduced with the 530 chain. The fact that my 1980 doesn't have it, indicates a PO must have left it off when changing drive chains..?
If someone has a later parts document for 81/82 than I do, it may be shown there.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The parts for the '80-'82 sprocket cushion system are on two different pages. The metal plate is shown on the transmission page as part # 23823-469-000. Same for all '80-'82s. The remainder of the cushion system is on the chain case page for both '80- and Pro-Link fiches. The thin fiber ring is part #23821-445-770 and the guide ring is part #23822-469-000. Those are for the '80. The identical parts for the Pro-Link are 23821-425-730 and 23822-MA2-000. I'm sure if they were still available they would cross-reference to the same two numbers.

I bought a set new for my '79 years ago when I switched to the 530 chain and continue to scrounge them up when I can for any future conversions. To be completely correct converting the '79 to a 530 set-up, you need the '80 chain adjusters - they are different and allow normal adjustment range.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Cool so that means that the sprockets on my bike are not stock.
What am i measuring/counting to figure out whats on there?
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No - does not mean that. You most certainly have the 530 set-up (vs the original 630 '79-only set-up). That was what I was referring changing my '79 to. You have an aftermarket front sprocket that is not of the original design, but should still work with the correct damper parts that you have. You just need the thin fiber ring, the outer fiber ring and the large metal plate only. The flanged bolt needs the small o-ring to seal the hole in the trans shaft. The small washer and whatever that other rubber ring is (looks like a caliper seal) is not used. The small washer is for the '79 only.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

So, I wonder what these parts are actually doing?? Dave calls the plate "damper". How does it "dampen" anything? I can see a dampening function only if the sprocket would "wobble".
I am planning to use a 525 chain on the 1980 I am working on and probably on my 1981 too, when the chain needs replacement. I did not consider using these parts. :? :?

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”