Swingarm Removal and Needle Bearing Upgrade for a 79

Ed Townsend
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Swingarm Removal and Needle Bearing Upgrade for a 79

Post by Ed Townsend »

Following advice I've found here, I've ordered Works shocks and front springs as well as a needle bearing kit for the swingarm. Got the pivot bolt removed but the swingarm, while it rotates easily, doesn't want to come out. I'm used to euro bikes where the s/a wants to fall out once the pivot's removed. Anything obvious I'm missing? Also, any advance advice for the needle kit installation. Thanks again.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

79 arm wont come out............

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Ed

The 79 is arm is a press fit unlike the 80 which has adjusters embedded in the chassis. I dont have any experience with 79 swingarm but do with the 80...so maybe others can help you more.
I would use a good spray lube at then end of the arm/pivot area..... ...let it set for a day or so....then start gentle with the tool of your choice to pry it out then keep moving up in leverage/tools until it the arm drops out.
My view but i dont think there is any damage that can be done in this area as long as you pry by hand with a tool or bar.

The 80 has grease caps on the each end of the side of the pivot bolt holes...I think the 79 does also but i dont think this could be a problem

If it still wont come out then i think the frame might be tweaked and you might have to cut the arm in half from pivot area backward to have it drop out. stock 79/80 arms are not worth much so this is not a big loss

Hope this helps

Mike

Post by Guest »

Ed,

The problem area is probably around the plastic bushings and or the inner sleeve has been moved over and is catching part of the frame. If you have your Technical Manual and can look at Chapter 14 page 11. You will see the illustration that I'm telling you about. The only part I would agree with is the swing arm isn't worth much, but cutting it in two? is going over the top. I have done a complete modification on the 79 putting a 1100F f swing arm into a 79 CBX and did not drill out the frame, and have posted it on another CBX site. If you are interested please e-mail me and I will forward the article to you, to see how to inhance the 79 CBX with the rear suspension.

Also to Mike please take the time to read my article as I have done the 79 CBX with the numbers to back up the over all difference between the stock swing arm and the 1100f, to include tire size, allowable radial play, side play, swing arm angle to shock angle as well, and changes to the overall handling of the bike.

My ICOA # 5006

z1x

Post by z1x »

Sorry,

I was the guest in the above post and Ed, feel free to e-mail me if you are interested my member # is 118 here .

Thanks z1x

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Swing Arm Removed....How About Bracing Your Early Model Fram

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Ed

Please note the Xpress Modifications Team will feature a great pictorial in the upcoming Fall Xpress on "Early Model Frame Bracing" that might be something to consider and timely for you and your project.

If you are interested ....and by chance given timing of your project need advanced cc of these photos now vs waiting for Xpress......... e jeff bennetts cbxsix@yahoo.com

These bracing mods are not expensive btw.

Up to you ofcourse. Best now and please keep up updated with your progress

Mike

dave z ( cbxdave )

replacing 79' swing arm bushings

Post by dave z ( cbxdave ) »

hey guy's

ya know i never even noticed much flexing in my 79' rear end. but i have purchased a needle bearing kit and am going to have it installed soon ( i hope ) will there be a large diff in the handling? . i remember when i installed a fork brace & progressive front fork springs (BIG diff ). And i have also purchased progressive rear shocks ( black for my black 79') ( yes black ) to be used with the arm kit ... any one else have a simillar set up? and how do ya like it? and what tires for the beast ...faster than touring tires but not racing either but i do like to dice it up now and then. any suggestions ?

thanx dave z

Ed Townsend

Swingarm Removal

Post by Ed Townsend »

Probably old news to those who have been down this road, but after loosening the lower engine mount bolt (passes through the footpeg mount brackets) the frame opened up just enough to allow easy removal of the swingarm. Thanks again.

Ed

tomR #5505

79 swing arm bearing conversion

Post by tomR #5505 »

I put one in last winter. I did need a vise to hold the swing arm in place. I then went to the hardware store, and jury rigged some threaded rood , washers, nuts and a couple of plastic peices to fabricate a small press in tool.

The vise was the key. There is no way to "beat " the bearings out or in without it. The actual job was easy...and I still have the "press".

Send me your address and I'll send it to you....or I'll post some pictures of it, if that will help. Tom R #5505

I am also running Progressives on the rear....still a little "hinge in the middle wobble" at HIGH speed cornering from time to time.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”