Race Tech Cartridge Emulators on a 80 CBX

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Race Tech Cartridge Emulators on a 80 CBX

Post by Samelak »

I started intstalling the cartridge emulators and springs from Race Tech on my 80. The first thing I noticed was that the Race Tech springs are significatly shorter than the stock springs. I know as part of the kit you are to install sized PVC tubing to adjust preload, but should the springs be significantly shorter? Also, does anyone know if I am supposed to fill the fork oil to factory specs or is there another volume?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Race Tech Cartridge Emulators on a 80 CBX

Post by NobleHops »

Fork oil specs are properly cited as a distance between the top of the tube and the oil level, assuming that the springs (and spacers, natch) are out and the fork tube all the way collapsed. Then you can do whatever you want with springs and spacers and have a consistent baseline.

ISTR 100mm is a good starting point for our bikes.

P.S. Did you have to machine adapters for the emulators to sit on top of the damper rod? I believe RaceTech (who assembled mine) said that's what they had to do.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I have not assembled mine yet because I am waiting on seals. They did not mention anything about adapters. That would be nice to now before I assemble them. Did they say why they were needed? I placed the emulators on the dampner rod and it completely covers the hole as required in the instructions and they sit flat.

Let me get this right for the oil. The tube (with dampner rod) fully pushed down into the slider (springs, washers, spacer removed), I fill with oil to the top of the tube? Then I extend the tube fully and finish assembly?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You ought to call RaceTech and speak to Matt Wiley. I am 100% certain they turned adapters for mine - they said the gold valves would not sit properly on my damper rods without them. I'm sorry I never laid eyes on them - they assembled my fork. Is your fork an '80 CBX fork or an 1100 fork?

Almost right re the oil: Damper rod, gold valve (and adapter if needed) IN spring and spacer OUT, fork tube pushed all the way down into the slider. Fill fork oil to 100mm lower than the top of the tube (that measurement is from memory - check the manual). Pump it gently to make certain you have all the air out of the damper rod's cavities/crevices. That 100mm amounts to an air cushion that you are compressing with fork action, and it's volume is a tuning point, eg you can vary it to suit. If you fill it all the way you will lose compliance - that'd be too much oil.

N.
Nils Menten

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Do you know Matt's e-mail? With the time difference, calling can be hard.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:Do you know Matt's e-mail? With the time difference, calling can be hard.

PM sent.

N.
Nils Menten

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Thanks for the e-mail. I have not heard back from Matt yet, but I called Louie at Race Tech. According to him, the 80 forks did not need an adapter, but 81's did. What fork year do you have? Also, they recommended an oil level with an air gap of 130mm from the top of the fork (compressed) with dampners in and springs out.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Matt contacted me and gave tuning specs. The good news is that I do not need the adapters. He said the dampners are fine the way they are. I'm just waiting on my new seals to put back together. I cannot wait until I get to try these out. Now only if I can upgrade the rear shocks for a fair price. I'm currently using Progressive shocks.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Sorry I lost track of your earlier question, but glad you got sorted Lee.

N.
Nils Menten

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I got them back together and took the CBX out for a spin today through the curves. I can't say there was a huge difference, but the front end does not dive so easily anymore and I got rid of a leak. Overall, I am happy with the upgrade.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”