'80 Swingarm Special Wrench

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

'80 Swingarm Special Wrench

Post by Fojyie »

I have an '80 CBX w/original swingarm. Since I took this bike down to the frame for painting, I removed the swingarm. Now, I want to reinstall the swingarm but find a special wrench is designated in the Addendment (32-34) to tighten the outer collar on the left while holding the already torqued inner collar. Can this be done without the wrench or do I need to find this special wrench?

BTW, I've really gotten a lot of good tips on taking this CBX apart and together from all of you guys. Great information.

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '80 Swingarm Special Wrench

Post by Fojyie »

Check that, I meant 22-34 addendum page.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think the steering stem socket for the top yoke nut is 2-sided and one or the other fits the swingarm locknut. But you probably don't have that one either. You should be able to fashion on from a cheap socket and a Dremmel pretty quickly.

Dave

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

I have made one that fits the clutch and steering nut already. This swingarm nut is different in that there is a locking ring with the castle style being that nut. The way the wrench looks, it allows you to hold the first collar with a 24 mm socket and around it fits a flat wrench that mates the castle style ring allowing you to tighten it without further tightening the first 24mm nut on the swing bolt. I assume tightening the castle nut potentially tightens the 24 mm nut since the torque is much higher on the castle nut versus the 24 mm nut.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I never had a problem using the separate socket to tighten just the lock nut. If the threads are clean, you won't further tighten your inner adjuster bolt. Anyway, that's all I've ever done and I've done an bunch of '80-'82s without a problem. I've never seen the actual tool Honda makes for that.

Dave

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

Okay, thanks for this encouragement. I will make a socket to fit the outer castle nut and will tighten it to the higher torque.

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

I failed to report back that tightening the lock nut went just fine as you said. Thanks again for the assistsance.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”