I need to adjust the rake on my CBX 1000 trike

jmms
New Member & Happy To Be Here

I need to adjust the rake on my CBX 1000 trike

Post by jmms »

Hi all.

Well,I'm new to the cbxclub, so a big "Hi" from South Africa.

I'm in a wheelchair and got myself a CBX 1000 trike.

Now turning it is like turning a truck without power-steering.

I need to know if any of you can refer me to someone that would be able to sell me a set of "Raked Fork Cup" for the CBX 1000

Here are some photos that the previous owner took.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: I need to adjust the rake on my CBX 1000 trike

Post by EMS »

Hello and Welcome jmms!

First, let me say I think it's cool that you are still riding 8)
While raked cups are common and popular in the chopper and ccustom cruiser scene, I don't think they are easy to find for street bikes other than maybe drag racers.

The approach to change the rake in order to make steering easier requires careful planning. The trail is actually the dimension that is responsible for steering effort and the shorter the trail, the easier (and sometimes more quirky) is the steering. Usually, for any three-wheeler set-up it is desirable to have a longer trail in order to increase straight line stability. Otherwise, you have to apply constant pressure on either side handlebar in order to make your rig go straight and you will get tired and sore rather quick. So, there is a trade-off and it is important to find the right compromise. I raced sidecars in the 70s and the front-end geometry was key to track performance and handling depending on how long a race was and how curvy the track.
The picture below should help you understand how rake and trail play with each other and how a rake change will affect the trail. Personally, if you have to have something made, I would propose to change the "offset" in the triple tree by having a custom triple tree set made, which anyone with a decent machining set-up working in billet aluminum can do. As you see in the drawing, an increased offset will move the forks forward, thus decreasing the trail. This will be more efficient than using "raked cups", which in most cases only change the lower or upper cup to "off-center" and will achieve only a limited change.
See what you think. I am interested in talking about this a little more.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jmms, welcome. I agree that you rock. Glad to have you.

I can't offer anything nearly as scholarly or generally informative as Mike just did, however by dumb luck I was once at a place called Venco Wings in New Hampshire, USA, run by a very very knowledgeable (and nice) guy named Jim Venne.

http://www.vencowings.com

The day I was there Jim was retrofitting a GL1500 trike with a triple clamp like Mike describes, for the same benefits. I doubt that the same part is a swap for the CBX, but perhaps the manufacturer could be coaxed into fabricating one for the X, or at least you could cob the dimensions and geometry off of it as a starting point for a custom fabrication of your own.

It's a good time of year (in this hemisphere anyway) to make inquiries like this.

Please keep us informed as you go, it'd be great knowledge to have available on the site for the future.

Again, welcome! Glad to have you!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

jmms

Post by jmms »

Thanks for the reply's and great info

I've mailed Ken at http://www.chopperkitusa.com,
and they are willing to build me a the triple tree kit that will sort out all my problems.

Will keep you posted... Ride safe

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

You ride safe too and by the way how are your roads down there? Can you head out into the tall and uncut with relative safety on paved roads? How is the traffic enforcement over there?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

jmms wrote:Thanks for the reply's and great info

I've mailed Ken at http://www.chopperkitusa.com,
and they are willing to build me a the triple tree kit that will sort out all my problems.

Will keep you posted... Ride safe
That's a good nugget of info right there. Did Venco point you in that direction? I'm curious if it's the same part. And when you get the part could you be coerced into photographing it and contributing the pertinent info in our Vendors forum?

Please stick around too, if only for my selfish reasons :-) - I'm headed your way in 2012 to do a tour and visit the preserve near Johannesburg, and I'd be glad to have your brain to pick as the trip gets planned :mrgreen: .

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”