sport bars

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

sport bars

Post by broook »

:D In the center pages of the last CBXpress it shows Swiftys immaculate 79. :D

The second pic down on page 26 shows the cockpit and a view of the sport bars. Is this the correct way to have them or do I have mine on backwards?? :?

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX Sports Kit Bars

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi Broook,

The bar location of John Swift's 79 looks proper. In fact - if the handlebars are correct CBX Sports Kit parts - it is not possible to mount them "backwards" without removing the locating pins. And I would strongly recommend against such a modification since the pins are a safety feature. A quick snapshot of a right-side bar (Honda P/N 53120-422-000 for the '79 Z Model):

I have seen bars on eBay represented as "CBX Sports Kit" components but are from another Honda model (possibly a VFR). And while the shape is very similar to the proper CBX bars - the dowel pin location is much different. The pins have been removed to allow fitment on a 79/80 CBX triple clamp (less critical - the bar casting thickness also seems a bit thinner). Without these pins - a parking lot tip-over could be enough to pivot a bar into the fuel tank (even with the single pinch-bolt properly torqued). Having the bar move while riding could certainly be more costly.

A photo of the correct Sports Kit bars installed on my '80 Marysville CBX (note the pinch-bolt location from front to back at roughly a 45 degree inward angle - identical to the standard bars (this is also different on the "alternative" bars being marketed as CBX parts).

All the best,

John

San Jose, California
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

bars

Post by broook »

Thanks for the reply John. Great pics. They describe exactly what I wanted to know. I guess like a lot of other people I now realise I do not have the genuine sport bars. I do like them though when compared to the stock high bars.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”