steering at VERY low speeds...

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

steering at VERY low speeds...

Post by jdeatsch »

being very new to heavy bikes I'm wondering if this 'heavy' steering at very slow speeds (like turning into a driveway or starting out from a stop sign and turning right) is normal.

Now I realize that the bike weighs 600 lbs (82 CBX1k) but is this normal or is there something I should know? (besides tomorrows winning lottery numbers that is....)

thanks in advance,

Jim
"Racing improves the breed" - Sochiro Honda

Post by Guest »

When I got my bike the handle bars were adjusted as narrow as they would go. One day, just for grins, I readjusted them as wide as they would go, and the feel was noticeably lighter, but I ended up going back to narrow, because I had ridden it so long, that's what felt normal.

Blaine McKibbin

steering

Post by Blaine McKibbin »

This may sound like a no-brainer, but make sure you have enough air in the front tire and that the steering head bearings are not too tight and moving freely.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Steering

Post by EMS »

Jim:

The Prolink models are somewhat sluggish when steering at low speeds. Compared to the 79/80s, they have a 2 degree larger rake and longer wheelbase. In addition the fairing and bracket makes them front-end top-heavy. Check your tire pressure, if it is O.K., what you feel is normal.

BTW, if you haven't already found a speedo, I have one. Send me a pm, if you are interested

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Speedo

Post by EMS »

Sorry, Jim - wrong guy. You did not need the speedo, my mistake.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Check your rear tire, as well. There's not a lot of rear tires available in the stock size. If the front is a stock size, but the rear's diameter is smaller than stock, that will make it a little slower steering than stock.

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

the steering issue...

Post by jdeatsch »

Many thanks for the replies folks. I truly appreciate the input.

Tire pressures are dandy, the steering (when the front wheel is up in the air) is as light as you would expect. The head bearings feel just fine and, in fact, I pulled the top triple clamp and checked the 'feel' of the head nut. Again, dandy.

I just rode my buddys bike from his house to mine (30 miles or so) and his feels MUCH different. It's an 81 with mini fairing, different exhaust, lightened up, blah, blah, blah. I didn't get the feeling of heaviness in the slow corners like I do with mine.

Perhaps it's inherent and I'll learn to live with it as EMS said.

Guest, I'll look into the handlebar deal. To be perfectly honest I never let that cross my feeble mind. :roll: Thank you.

Thanks guys, the wisdom and experience is appreciated.

Jim

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Make sure your front tire is 100/90-19, and not a 110/90-19, the oversize tire will make it feel alot heavier, like its flat.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Heavy Steering

Post by EMS »

Jim:

I am pretty sure you are not experiencing anything unusual. Especially when you compare it with your friends' 81 with a "mini fairing". Please consider the amount of weight he took off the upper front end when he changed from the stock Honda fairing with its heavy bracketry. The issues the guys are pointing out with the tires are also valid points. Raising any given bike in the front or lowering it in the back without changing anything else, will increase the trail, thus making steering heavier. This can be the effect of using a wrong size tire.

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

the heavy steering...

Post by jdeatsch »

is JUST like a flat on the front Andy. That is the best description of it. A VERY low tire feels just like that.

I'll look into the tire size EMS and Andy and thank you guys.

Jim

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

where we're at...

Post by jdeatsch »

The front tire is as Honda calls out in the service manual (350v-19)

The handlebars are now all the way out (gained about an inch on each side).

Pressures are ducky (yes, I took advantage of the 'original air' that was for sale so I'm all set there).

Methinks it's time to just learn to live with it.

N'est ce pas?

Thanks you guys,

Jim

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

interesting...

Post by jdeatsch »

moving the bars forward made a rather large difference.

It's a differenter bike.

thanks guys,

Jim

texascbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

heavy

Post by texascbx »

Raise tubes in triple clamps half an inch.Any more and the fender can hit.It will lower the front and quicken steering.Just make sure your wheels are in alignment and you might have to raise air pressure in forks.Some bikes will wobble though.r

jdeatsch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

interesting thought there Texas...

Post by jdeatsch »

Thanks for the reply Texas.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what Texas suggested?

I never thought of lowering the front end.

I must ask about speed wobble then though.

Jim

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Steering

Post by EMS »

Sliding the triple tree down the fork tubes will shorten the trail by positioning the fork at a slightly steeper angle (you actually rotate the whole bike around the rear axle as a pivot point). A shorter trail will result in quicker steering. The trade-off is less straight-line stability, that's why the potential for wobble. Difficult to predict what's going to happen. Only way to find out is try it. Raising the rear end (larger tire, for example) has the same effect.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”