Weaving In The High Speed Sweepers

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Barone #123 wrote: Very interesting............and good to know this since I never heard about any Martins wobbling at any speed nor did any of the Brit members that attended Marlinton and other rallies here ever say theirs wobbled since it seems they would have had the frames without the two gussets.
How many guys you know, you would trust when they say they have run their CBX at 125mph :?: :?:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I was in Germany from '80 to '83 and I can recall a few of them going past me like I was sitting still . . . . only I was doing about 100

If they weren't doing 125, it was something awfully close - Knowing the German riders, I suspect they were going about as fast as the bike was capable of going. They sure were making sweet music I can tell you!

Don

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

According to the guy next to me with a digital speedo (I wasn't looking at mine) :lol: one day a few years back, his speedo read 132mph. Probably as fast as my 79 could go. Was shaking and vibrating a good bit too! :shock: :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Terry wrote:According to the guy next to me with a digital speedo (I wasn't looking at mine) :lol: one day a few years back, his speedo read 132mph. Probably as fast as my 79 could go. Was shaking and vibrating a good bit too! :shock: :lol:

Terry

That is exactly the top speed range I always thought an early model would do.

I never had the Dawgie electronically timed, but a friend of mine had a near brand new bike that all the magazines tested at 128mph on top end.

At the Ontario Canada Rally a long time ago him and I were side by side on a super long 3-4 mile straight away ......and the Dawgie was ever so slowly able to pull a 10ft-20ft foot gap after a couple of miles on my friends new bike. Sooooooo.... I always thought the stock early models should top out at 128mph to 132mph or so based on my personal experiences..... including this vivid memory.

I have to say it ......it was weird going along at this speed and being able to look over at each other during most of the time this was happening. :shock:

As a point of interest Phil Loscoe was right there with us during this time on his late model. :clap:

This happened pre 39mm forks on the Dawgie and I was praying every second not to hit a bump or undulation and go into the dreaded wobble all of us have been discussing in this thread. Lucked out that day. :crazy:

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

EMS

How many guys you know, you would trust when they say they have run their CBX at 125mph :?: :?:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.....good q.

My answer I guess would I would trust every single CBXer that said he had his stock early model up to 125mph..... if infact..... the Dawgie and I were right there and witnessed it up close and personal.

My guess is the list that have done 125mph+ or hit redline in 5th with stock gearing on an stock early model that have witnesses or electronic timing to prove it ........is a very short list.
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Come to think of it, 132 or so is the low side of 3rd gear on the Hayabusa... 8) :lol: :P

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Terry wrote:Come to think of it, 132 or so is the low side of 3rd gear on the Hayabusa... 8) :lol: :P
Haaaaaaaaaaaa...I thought you would bring that up. Below is a link I am sure you will enjoy.

Place: WV on Rt 150.
Bike: Hayabusa
Speed: See video further below of two bikes at 135mph more/less and tell me how fast you think this Hayabusa was going!!!!!
Rider: CBXer that shall at this point remained as unnamed...however if anyone guesses his name......I will out him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KTV9iJtgc

>>>>>>

In contrast to the Hayabusa on the above link.... you might want to check this video of an Aprilia Caponord and ZRX1200 theh same day and location which were going at very modest and estimated speed of only 135mph. That Hayabusa was haulennnnnnnnnnnnn in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_rTuE1-sU

>>>>>>

Soooooooooooooo what is everyones guess on just how fast that Hayabusa in the first video was going????????

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:Soooooooooooooo what is everyones guess on just how fast that Hayabusa in the first video was going????????
~165mph
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

bdento59 wrote:
Mike Barone #123 wrote:Soooooooooooooo what is everyones guess on just how fast that Hayabusa in the first video was going????????
~165mph
I don't know, he wasn't very leaned over in the corner starting his run to reach 165 by the time he passed the camera. My guess is 135-145 tops, no matter what his speedo said. :lol: The other two are 'estimated' at 135 somewhat liberally too I think. I just don't get the sense of that kind of speed even on full screen watching it many times.

BTW, what the hell are those guys saying in that video :?: :shock: :lol:

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Terry wrote:
bdento59 wrote:
~165mph
I don't know, he wasn't very leaned over in the corner starting his run to reach 165 by the time he passed the camera. My guess is 135-145 tops, no matter what his speedo said. :lol: The other two are 'estimated' at 135 somewhat liberally too I think. I just don't get the sense of that kind of speed even on full screen watching it many times.

BTW, what the hell are those guys saying in that video :?: :shock: :lol:

I thought you would enjoy the Busa video though...esp.... the delayed sound effect when the Busa went by the camera.....I sure did. Not sure on the Busa speed at that moment.......but it was plenty fast when I was filming it and a weeeeeeeeee bit scarrrry to be standing that close to the road when it went by ......I can say that.

Comparision Purposes
Another sense you dont get on the video is just how long the straight is .....nor the uphill long straight coming to the turn which can be taken flat out in any gear you are brave enough to try....so getting carrying a pretty high speed out of that turn is possible.

Below is a second video of the ZRX and Aprilia which gives a longer and better view....and my new estimate now is they are going 110 to 120mph at the camera which agrees with what you think.....buttt well over that at the end of the straight. So the q now becomes does this second video below used as a comparison help on just how much faster than that is the Busa going. I know this for sure....in person that day.... that Busa was realllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllly moving in comparison.....faster than 20mph more.... I have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UefjHKRRxEI

In any event it was a fun day there......and I wish you could have been there with us.

>>>>>>

What are they talking about in the first Aprilia/ZRX1200 video?
Comment about Senior Brockovich was made by Bill Elliott from Canada related to the age of the guy riding the Aprilia......dont have a clue what it means.

Comment about the ZRX1200 being the "rare one" was made by Aaron and refers to James Elliott calling his ZRX "rare" one time at the rallies when most people never thought they were that rare.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”