The Queen's getting revenge on us colonists

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

The Queen's getting revenge on us colonists

Post by cbxtacy »

What the heck is this doing here? Oh wait, it's George. Let's wait for a story: Anyway last year I bought some Koni shocks for a CBX from Larry (alimey4u2). Shipping was atrociou$ so I figured I'd wait for Larry to return to the colonies for Louis' rally. He did and I got them in the post (that's British for mail) today. The threads in them didn't look real healthy where the bolt goes in on the swingarm. I decided to put a helicoil in them. I have a nice, Chinese helicoil set with a whole bunch of sizes. I put a 10mmX1.5 in them. The 1.5 is the pitch, fine/regular/coarse. I go to screw a bolt in and it won't go in. If you have a 10mm (thread) nut or bolt on a Japanese motorcycle, it's generally 1.25 pitch. So now I have to find a 10mm bolt with 1.50 pitch and 35mm long. If it's any longer, it will hit the sprocket bolts. I find one that's 35mm long at Home Depot and one more 40mm long. I have a sawzall. So finally everything is drilled, tapped, threaded, bolted, assembled, and wired. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it here
viewtopic.php?t=4977
and now do you want to know why I replaced a perfectly good pair of Progressive Suspension shocks with a perfectly good pair of Koni's? If you keep reading you just might find out why. Stock shocks are 360mm long. They've never lasted me long. And I don't think they're rebuildable. PS (Progressive Suspension) shocks are 355mm long. I don't like losing ground clearance but the stock one's were worthless to me. PS are available with 2 different spring rates. I have both. I have the softest one's in my shocks and have them on the softest setting. My bike rides like an old rigid frame chopper. It's very stiff. Never blew the shocks out in 15? years of hard riding and roadracing. The Koni's are 364mm long and much more compliant. And there's a damping adjuster on them that's real easy to use. I'm happy now and when I blow out the Koni's, I'll put the PS on until I rebuild the Koni's. I've never had shock's last more then a couple years except for the PS shocks but they're just too stiff.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I've had those same Konis on my 79 since 2003 or 4, can't remember exactly. Very adjustable and so far, working very well.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Glad you got them OK George. Sorry about the thread, I really honestly wasn't aware... :? Shipping is on me.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

If Koni shocks were good enough for Fast Freddie, they should be good enough for us.
Personally, i think this has more to do with Georges' addiction to the Sawzall than a story about shocks.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”