Custom suspension: Replace 81 Prolink with which shocks?

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Custom suspension: Replace 81 Prolink with which shocks?

Post by BayArchitect »

I installed a 2007 RR front end and rim on my '81 CBX. Now for the rear. VFR or ZRX swingarm? I can do either to get the 5" rim, but either swingarm will require replacement of the Prolink suspension with standard shocks. I need your recommendations for the shocks (and anything else you want to tell me!). They should be black--not chrome, and highest quality. Please tell me what you know.
Regards to all,
Leon

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

If I were in the States I would probably go with Works Performance as they can be tuned/custom made to your exact requirements. In Europe I would go with Ohlin as they have great support ( no pun intended) over here.... Ohlin may be my choice over there too but I would need to contact the local sources to see what services are available...
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Leon, there is an article in the Fall 2005 Xpress from Jeff Bennett about using a ZRX swingarm. It looks great.
As for shocks, there is a guy that organizes Ohlins shock group buys. $475 plus shipping which is a great price. I have seen his offer on the www.cb1100f.net and www.thegsresources.net websites.
If this link does not work for the swingarm, it can be found in the "View Magazines" section.
http://www.cbxclub.com/Xpress/200502.pdf

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Custom suspension: Replace 81 Prolink with which shocks

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

BayArchitect wrote:I installed a 2007 RR front end and rim on my '81 CBX. Now for the rear. VFR or ZRX swingarm? I can do either to get the 5" rim, but either swingarm will require replacement of the Prolink suspension with standard shocks. I need your recommendations for the shocks (and anything else you want to tell me!). They should be black--not chrome, and highest quality. Please tell me what you know.
Regards to all,
Leon
I would not overlook Penske. Their price point is normally between Ohlins and Works, but there are different options that can lower or increase prices.

Here is a link to a company I have used before with good results and pricing. They will actually make the shock for you based on your needs. They also sell Ohlins.

http://www.resuspension.com/Services-sp-3.html

Their primary business is all forms of car racing, but they know motorcycles. They built Aaron the very first light weight non reserior Ohlin racing shock for the teams Aprilia SVX 550 motard roadracers....this beat the Ohlins factory offering of the same shock by 6 months or so. The took my Aprilia Caponord shock apart, tested the spring rating and installed a new spring with a 50 pound higher rating...........cost $72.

I dont want to oversell them to you...everytime I do this it dooms things, but I do think it might be worth a call to them in your shock buying due diligence process.

Ask for Jason (owner) and tell him you saw a post on the CBX web site about their company. If he is not avail talk to who ever is free to help you.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Another option would be to modify the forked part of the Pro-Link suspension to eliminate the inside fork. Clearance for the new tire should be no problem, especially since you would be adapting (I assume) a 17 inch wheel. Then pick a good replacement single shock for the stock one. The stock swingarm is about as beefy as they get.

Dave

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and if you're leaning towards twin shocks, stay away from the VFR singlesided swingarm because there's no place to mount a shock on one side. I have a spare prolink swingarm and linkage and I've been staring at it considering modifying the linkage, eliminating the inside link, beefing up the linkage, building a better pivot, and making enough clearance on the inside for a 180 tire on a 5.5" rim. I also have a CBX with a VFR singlesided swingarm and converting to the singlesided swingarm looks easier then doing a conversion using the prolink arm. You have a PM.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

OK--Ohlins Shocks, but which model?

Post by BayArchitect »

After reading your replies, and doing some investigating, looks like I'll purchase a pair of Ohlins shocks to replace the '81 Prolink setup on the ZRX swingarm. Which model of Ohlins shock would work the best with this setup? Please don't be shy--I need your opinion. *grin*
Regards to all,
Leon

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Source for shock studs to be welded to the CBX frame:

Post by BayArchitect »

Those Ohlin shocks will need studs to be welded to the CBX frame. I could turn something to fit, but if they are available for purchase, I'd rather just buy them. Does anyone know a source for these?
Regards to all,
Leon

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: OK--Ohlins Shocks, but which model?

Post by EMS »

BayArchitect wrote:After reading your replies, and doing some investigating, looks like I'll purchase a pair of Ohlins shocks to replace the '81 Prolink setup on the ZRX swingarm. Which model of Ohlins shock would work the best with this setup? Please don't be shy--I need your opinion. *grin*
Regards to all,
Leon
Leon, I had a pair of Öhlins S36PR1C1LB on my CB1100R. They were quite pricey, but man, were they good! I would think they should do well on a CBX too.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sorry, don't know about mounting studs but that should not be too difficult to take care of.
Have a look at the Ohlins HO 140.
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Moto ... rt/HO-140/

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Talk to Ohlins about it...tell them what you want and how you ride...as a starting point.

Cost
I rode a CBX with a mountain motor with low end Works shocks that only had spring adjustments and it was one of the most compliant yet controlled rides I ever had on a CBX.

When in Doubt
I always feel when in doubt on shocks or tires, buy what you think will be best for the way you ride........because when you actually can ride this way you dont want to be distracted by wishing you bought something that would work better...as in something more expensive. Riding the ride deserves all your attention.

So if your wallet can keep up on buying things based on how you think you can ride......you are all set.

By the way I found a 2005 Xpress for you. PM me the issue you wanted so I can check to see if it actually is the one I have
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”