Other front ends?

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Other front ends?

Post by bdento59 »

Is there any research, or has anyone ever tried to fit any "other" front ends on the CBX other than the CB1100F? I'm wondering about something like a late model VMax, which has a 19" front wheel and 43mm tubes.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think people have done almost anything you can think of. Especially the guys in Europe. If you can change the steering stem and press in the stock CBX stem, you can use almost anything you want. Suzuki USD forks are very popular. I have a project currently that will use a Kawasaki ZX-6 fork in an early frame. Before you decide on another fork, take some rough measurements and compare fork length and triple tree offset with the one on the stock bike. You don't want to alter the front end geometry too much if you stay with the same swingarm and stock wheels.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Other front ends?

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bdento59 wrote:Is there any research, or has anyone ever tried to fit any "other" front ends on the CBX other than the CB1100F? I'm wondering about something like a late model VMax, which has a 19" front wheel and 43mm tubes.
I am thinking the first choice would be something others have done...so your q here is a good start........and finally make sure you narrow your choice down to a bike donor that actually has front that works on the bike it was designed for ......so this would eliminate the VMax based on what owners have told me.

I have seen the following:

89-92 FRZ1000 front and back: Bob Buehler

RC30 front and 1100f back: Pat Mattachoine Road Racer

Honda 600 of some type: Al Bleyenberg

Many, many customs........

Alot of these bikes and many more have been in the member magazines over the years. If you want to talk to Bob or Al let me know

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Other front ends?

Post by EMS »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:
RC30 front
Mike
I know where an RC30 is for sale, which one could cannibalize for the front end. The guy only wants $15,000.- for it. 8)

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and if you were to get the RC30 for the front end, I have a '83 CX650 front end you can replace it with. The big advantage of the CX650 is it has tubular handlebars :D .
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

..and then you could use the RC30 front end to start building an RC30 replica.. :shock: :shock:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

We're so helpful, Mike. I'm proud of us. You'd be proud of me also. Last night I installed an Italian made part on my wire wheeled CBX. It has parts off a GS750, GS1000, GS1100, ZX9R, CBR900, VFR750, CB750, aftermarket part that came off a Kaw triple from the mid 70's, and other parts that I have no idea where they came from. Now it has an Italian part. I'll post a pic of the area of the bike that has the latest abomination and see if you can figure out what it is :D .
Last edited by cbxtacy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A Ceriani steering damper :shock: :shock: Or a Magneti Marelli cable tie :shock: :?

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I only use quality Chinese made cable ties. You got it with the steering damper (dampener). Next question-is it "damper" or "dampener"? The use of the proper word here eludes me. And how's that for a hijack, bring it all the way around back to a picture of a CBX with a different front end and then jog the gist of the thread into the proper use of the King's English :D
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

And in the picture I posted you can see the GS1000 frontend with the GS750 hub with aftermarket alloy rim, fender, fork brace, GS1100 headlight, VFR handlebars, CBR900RR pegs and choke cable/bracket, and ZX9R alternater.
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here we go:

damp·er /ˈdæmpər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dam-per] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person or thing that damps or depresses: His glum mood put a damper on their party.
2. a movable plate for regulating the draft in a stove, furnace, etc.
3. Music. a. a device in stringed keyboard instruments to deaden the vibration of the strings.
b. the mute of a brass instrument, as a horn.

4. Electricity. an attachment to keep the indicator of a measuring instrument from oscillating excessively, as a set of vanes in a fluid or a short-circuited winding in a magnetic field.
5. Machinery. a shock absorber.
6. Australian. a. a round, flat cake made of flour and water, and cooked over a campfire.
b. the dough for such cakes.

or:

damp·en /ˈdæmpən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dam-puhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to make damp; moisten: to dampen a sponge.
2. to dull or deaden; depress: to dampen one's spirits.
3. damp (def. 10).
–verb (used without object) 4. to become damp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1620–30; damp + -en1]

—Related forms
damp·en·er, noun

Means: A dampener is one that makes something damp :? :?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

"2. to dull or deaden;"

Seems like both words could be used to describe the work of a shock or steering damper...or dampener :lol: .
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”