Front Fork

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Front Fork

Post by EMS »

We had several discussions on this board about replacing the early 35mm fork with some other design. Due to the experience with chassis set-up problems for my racebikes I am always very cautious when it comes to using foreign chassis components. The June issue of "Cycle World" addresses this subject in their "Service" column on page 130. Paul Dean responds to reader James Eng from Trenton, NJ, who is "bored" with his 94 VFR750 and wants to liven it up by plugging a 2003 GSX-R1000 inverted fork into it. The answer is worth reading. If anybody is interested who can not get his hands on a magazine, I can scan and e-mail the page.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

I'm not wanting to do complete front end swap right now, but my '82 forks are stock and I'm considering a fork brace, Race Tech cartridge emulators, and different springs. Would like to hear if it's worth it from those who have done it.

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

My 81 has the RaceTech gold cartridge emulator set-up by Mike Donndillinger, it gives a better ride (less stiction as no air pressure), and gives a confidence-inspiring handling boost. Ditto for Progressive rear shock. Don't neglect taking apart and moly lubing entire ProLink assembly, they can bind and squeek, causing lotsa suspension problems. Superbrace actually touched brake line junction at full-lock, so that got removed. Matching set of Bridgestone S11 Spitfires makes for a great handling CBX, rock steady, arrow straight stability PLUS nuetral smooth handling on all types and speed curves. Before all these changes, my CBX weaved, wobbled, hula danced and was unstable. CBX's need all the help they can get in the handling dept., and do not tolerate any compromised bits like half-woirn tires, dry bushings etc.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

TeDDy Bear
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Front upside down forks 725m and 17inch front and rear rims.

Post by TeDDy Bear »

Hi all ,

Seem to have lost my previous post bcause i erronously reregistered.

Ive got my hands on 1 set of upsidedown forks which measure 725mm from the top of the fork to the centre of axle.

17inch front and rear rim

1 extra rear rim 17inch with 190 tires.

If i bolt these on will it kill me.

Im not into extreme cornering.

I am just looking for a reliable ride that can do at least 160 Km/h and be stable doing it.

Ive read EMS opinions and the facts he puts forward are true. Then there are also those that have done the modifications without the engineering data.But they seem happy with the bikes handling and charecteristics.

I would be very appreciative if someone who has sone a similar mod with these fork and wheel specifications couldlet me know regarding my worries.

cheers and thanks.

TBear

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”