how to adjust steering head bearings?

andy

how to adjust steering head bearings?

Post by andy »

I am in the midst of trying to sort out a nasty headshake (see previous post) and it has been suggested check steering head bearings. How is this done? Is a special tool needed? Shop manual vague on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated if somebody out could walk me thru the procedure via the "CBX way" on this terrific new BB.
My 81 has RaceTech gold cartridge emulator superforx assembled by Mike Donndilinger, Progressive shock, 85 VFR low bars, and I have reformed from being a high-speed-corner-charging-wearing-out-mysidewalls-before-my-centertreads into more of a straightline-high-speed-blaster. Thank goodness I don't own a Hayabusa, they'd lock me up and throw away the key, if they ever caught me!

75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Andy yes there is a special tool....you can get by without it but its nice. I sure don`t want anyone to do my method which is get the front end off the ground and see how tight or loose it is but its always worked for me. I have always ran a tight front end....because of my old drag racing ways especially tight. Has anyone ever had a wobble because of a to tight front end? I haven`t in 28 years of street bikes.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”