Torque For Steering Stem Bearings

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Torque For Steering Stem Bearings

Post by DevonCbx »

I have just inspected my steering stem bearings in which they seem to be okay. I repacked them and replaced them on the stem. Do they need to be reseated at a high torque? I just torqued them down a bit. There seems to be no play. Also The forks swing back and forth easely.Is this still safe? Thanks Duane[size=18

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I replaced the head bearings in both of my early models. The shop manual says to torque to 22-29 ft. lb's, loosen and then retorque to 9-17. I torqued to about 40, loosened and then retorqued to about 20. I like a bit tighter feel to the steering.

This was done with new bearings, you may be able to get by with lower torques when reinstalling used bearings.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

High torque on installation is to ensure the bearing is well seated in its seat. Once established, the working tolerance is set. It is imperitive that the bearing is well seated as any error (change) there could be catastrophic.....

DevonCbx, I see your script is in green, are you also a Kawasaki man.... :lol: 8)

Excuse my manners, Welcome to the site......... :thumupp:

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”