Problem, problem, help???

jetdoc
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Problem, problem, help???

Post by jetdoc »

I have a 79, stock model. I've had it since about 82. I been having a problem recently while riding and hit my rear brakes I get a slight shudder, just a quick little wobble to the right It does it once and while my foot is on the brake it wont do it again, until I push the pedal, then it shudders then stops normally. I put it on the center stand, spun the tire and put the foot brake on....you could see the right axle nut on the swing arm move when the brake was pushed.

The chain adjustment isn't loose and the axle nut is torqued correctly. I have not had time to remove the wheel and look closely yet. Is there a bushing issue? I tried to tighten the axle nut fairly tight and it still moved. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. I want to take my bike with me on vacation to the Keys this thurs.

RonW
[img]http://www.fighter-planes.com/thumbn/f18e_r.jpg[/img]obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear Axle Moving & a Shutter

Post by sixofsix »

This is an odd one. I wonder if you have had the rear wheel assy off recently? Sometimes when you take the sprocket/cush hub assy off of the wheel and set it on a counter, the stepped spacer falls out. It is only held in with the grease film. It is about say 1 3/4" long by say 1 1/4 O.D at the big end. It goes between the sprocket hub and the bearing on the wheel rim. If it is missing, you would not be able to tighten the assembly with the axle nuts unless you really torqued on it. If this turns out to be the problem, consider your self lucky. If you would have rode it to Florida, the inner races on the bearings would have been displaced to the outer races, and bearing damage would occur. Believe it or not, this missing spacer is not unusual, I've seen it on this board before and I have personally had it happen. Remove the rear wheel, lift off the sprocket and hub assy and look for the spacer. Keep us posted.

jetdoc
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jetdoc »

Thanks sixofsix, I did have the wheel off prior to this happening, I changed the drive chain and was checking some other things out, but I didn't take the sprocket off. Is removal of the sprocket required for this to occur? BTW, I wasn't going to ride the bike to FLA, I was going to trailer it and just scoot around while down there.
Last edited by jetdoc on Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.fighter-planes.com/thumbn/f18e_r.jpg[/img]obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

No you don`t need the sprocket off to lose the spacer.

I did the same thing myself this spring after having the wheel off. When I went to sweep up after moving the bike outside I noticed the spacer still on the floor. And this is after doing this about 50 times. :oops:

jetdoc
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jetdoc »

Thanks for the posts guys. I am working a triple shift now and wont be home till tomorrow at around 7am. I will remove the rear wheel and see if mine is infact gone.

I bet I will have a hard time trying to find a shope selling the part or even the part number if its missing, unless one of you guys know the number by chance? I know its a stretch but you guys seem to be on the right track so far.

A side note: I noticed where you said the bushing is on the sprocket side but the movement is occuring on the right side. I can spin the rear wheel and push the foot brake with my hand and see the swingarm moving right next to the marks for the chain adjustment. From what I remember the left side of the swingarm isn't moving.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Spacer

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

The reason the right side moves is when the brake grabs the rotor, it acts like the pivot point and starts the wheel into a circular motion from the point of where the brake grabs the disc. The left side alxe connection is just acting like a pivot point too.

It will be interesting to find out what is wrong.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”