Replacing steering stem bearings

Aris

Replacing steering stem bearings

Post by Aris »

Hello all,

I need to replace both steering stem bearings in my CBX Z frame. I have managed to successfully remove the old ones but what about insertion of the new? In their workshop manual, Honda recommend all sorts of special tools and then a pretty straight forward procedure for setting everything up. But, what if you don't have these tools?

Kind regards

Aris Hadjiaslanis

Dave 0526
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Bearings

Post by Dave 0526 »

Aris: If you've gotten that far - you can do the rest! Make a driver out of the appropriate diameter PVC pipe, or of steel. The stem bottom bearing easily drives on, as do the races in the head itself. The forked tool for tightening the stem is useful, but one can easily be made. Torque to 75 ft/lbs initially, then rotate stem back and forth several times to seat the races. Loosen, then repeat a couple of times. Finally, loosen, then torque to about 15 ft/lbs more or less. The high tightening torque will not harm the tapered roller bearings. Good luck

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”