Which Ohlins cartridge kit will fit on a 1980 CBX?

k2suzuki
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Which Ohlins cartridge kit will fit on a 1980 CBX?

Post by k2suzuki »

Right side front fork has leaks thus going to have both fork rebuild. I thought about installing racetech emulator but have heard mixed reviews on its effectiveness. Since I am having it rebuild, I thought about trying Ohlins cartridge kit but not sure which one will fit. Will the NIX 22 (custom & Heritage) work? If so, will it be plug and play or need modifications? I was not able to find any post on this matter thus asking.
Has anyone tried and what are the results?

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Which Ohlins cartridge kit will fit on a 1980 CBX?

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hi, K2,
While I know nothing about the Ohlins cartridge kit, I can comment about the Racetech. I installed those into my 82. Along with a Progressive rear shcok the combination made a real bike of it. Very noticeable improvement in the front end.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

k2suzuki

Post by k2suzuki »

Thanks. I ended up installing the RaceTech fork spring with the gold valve cartridge emulator. Still trying to feel the difference.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

k2suzuki wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:06 pm
Thanks. I ended up installing the RaceTech fork spring with the gold valve cartridge emulator. Still trying to feel the difference.
I have race tech and I've no regrets, improved suspension and preserve the oem appearance.
I the tech visit when I have serious issues has decades of experience on the super bike circuit he recommended them even though he personally doesn't like the racetech owners. He said unless you go to modern inverted forks you won't find anything better. Probably a bit better if they were in 81,82 forks.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”