Fork identification

relisysxx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Fork identification

Post by relisysxx »

Having some issues with the brakes/suspension on the 80 model that I have recently re-assembled (bought a 79 and a 80 in boxes from the same seller so working out which part went where has been a right nightmare).
The front brakes judder and it looks like there is play in the fork sliders so I'm thinking we have some parts mixed up.
Can anyone identify the sliders in the photo's attached.
Thanks in advance..........Nick
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by relisysxx on Mon May 08, 2023 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Fork identification

Post by daves79x »

That is a '79 tube you show, but we have to see the inside of the sliders to tell if they are '79 or '80. The '79 has just a plain bore, the '80 has a bushing at the top of the bore. The '80 tubes also have a bushing on the tube.

Dave

relisysxx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by relisysxx »

Both the sliders seem to have a bush at the top (photo's attached), looks like this could be my problem, have just checked my 2nd set of tubes (just had them re-chromed) and the are the same as the ones in the photo, so do I have 2 sets of 79 tubes and 2 sets of 80 sliders?
Last edited by relisysxx on Mon May 08, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

relisysxx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by relisysxx »

Added a couple of photo's of inside the sliders, curious to know why one set has the ribs at the top and the other is plain?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The '79 tubes work fine in the '80 sliders. Just rebuilt a set that had been mixed-and-matched that way. Be better if you had the '80 tubes and bushings, but good luck finding them.

Dave

relisysxx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by relisysxx »

Are repro any good?
Will have to delve deeper to sort the judder, didn’t think it was headstock bearings as they were replaced but if the forks are okay I’d better take the yokes off to investigate ( they were tightened according to the manual).

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The way you set head bearings is this: Tighten to 50 ft lbs or so. Rotate lock-to-lock 20 times. Loosen and repeat. Loosen and torque to no more than 10 ft lbs. This is a bit loose, but will tighten up as you torque the top bridge nut. This process seats and squares the head bearings, then when torqued correctly, will stay that way. If you are using your original bearings, change them if you notice ANY roughness during this process, which you probably will.

Dave

relisysxx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by relisysxx »

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”