Ikon Pro-Link Shock Collar/Bushings??

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ikon Pro-Link Shock Collar/Bushings??

Post by shiskowd »

Just received an Ikon shock for my '82 Pro-Link restoration that I ordered from a Canadian distributor (Waldridge Motors in Ontario). Nice looking piece but question the mounting bushings.

Both the bottom and top collars are exactly the same length as the bushing and the shock body whereas the OEM shock has the collar protruding a few mm allowing the collar to tighten against the bike frame or swingarm linkage while the shock body can freely pivot about the collar. When the mounting bolts are tightened to spec on the Ikon shock, the shock body is frozen, unable to rotate at all in the frame or linkage.

Further - the bottom collar on the Ikon shock appears to be hard pressed into the shock body eyelet. The OEM lower shock collar is the rubber mounted type that does provide a degree of movement, sufficient for the few degrees of rotation needed.

Maybe I'm missing something but this seems counter intuitive to having a smoothly functioning suspension. I can machine off the few mm's on the top brass bushing to provide the clearance to not interfere. The swingarm linkage has a raised shoulder that appears to fit inside the eyelet body but if the collar is frozen in the eyelet the result is the same.

Any insight is appreciated!

2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”