Old frame mods

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Old frame mods

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I don’t remember where these came from, maybe someone can chime in, I know this would drive someone people crazy!
61580F6F-1500-422E-B7B6-2958D5F97694.jpeg
61580F6F-1500-422E-B7B6-2958D5F97694.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Old frame mods

Post by jt »

Jeff, That's a diagram of Dr Tom Marquet(Think I murdered that spelling) race bike frame. One of the frame mods If you remember he modified the engine mounts to move the engine up for more ground clearance. Lots of mods on there. He ran a VF1000f front end, god is that a heavy fork, but stout. I got the same drawing I got from TomN when he went up to assist Dr Marquet at a race back about 2008 or 2009.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Yes, Dr. Marquart (spl)

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

JB Power sells a frame bracing mod kit, that could be copied.
PLS Take a look under the side cover on this highly modded 79 BITO CBX
JB Power
https://jb-power.com/en_us/complete-machine/cbx1000/
JB Power Special Frame Reinforcement
-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Duffey Lake rd. on Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

This is the typical bracing method for an early model.
781AF4C5-C71E-4F8A-B2DF-8204C261BFE3.jpeg
C611B2BE-EEAA-40B7-9ECC-2EBB875CF063.jpeg

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

That's very Interesting Jeff, way more elaborate than just an added pair of cross-members.
-Scott

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Outstanding support, Jeff.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Very interesting guys and no, I had not seen any of this stuff b4 other than Jyo Bito's great gear. Easily the best CBX after marketeer for performance mods but very expensive for an old age pensioner.

I will need to study those diagrams altho' they look like they are twin shock mods as opposed to the Prolink. Even Roly does not have those specs. He reckons I'm a wimp for not getting off the bike more and riding round the clearance issues. Easily said as he is younger, smaller (& lighter) than me but he is also retired from racing both as a rider and a tuner. I respect his opinion but he is no longer doing it and words are cheap. Of course, he is right (but don't tell him I admitted as much). I have my limitations just like the machine.

I've now extended the rear shock over 40 mm (the max with that custom dog bone) and will test the stiffer but narrower diameter Racetech springs in a few weeks as well as experimenting with the last 7 mm left in the front forks. Roly reckons all this as a waste of time but it is only what I have and part of a deductive development process. 18 " wheels remain an expensive last ditch option.

I still have to install the Barnett clutch and a new set of Kibblewhite valve springs as well as sifting thru' the sand trap for the broken barrel fin (see above sad & sorry pic) and seeing if I can TIG it back on. Then there is figuring out the problem with the diaphragm clutch on the NC30 causing the sudden and very unpredictable take up and kangaroo hop starts.

I have my hands full but at least we curretly have gorgeous glassy southern maritime summer weather at the moment that allows me to forget about all this for a little while. Spending more time on the tennis court and watching the lead up to the Oz Open than in the workshop or riding bikes is a pleasant diversion from broken collar bones and excess testosterone at the track. Season's greetings to all .....

Treacle Miner
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Treacle Miner »

Good morning from England - I'm considering adding the frame reinforcement as shown above to my US 1979 model .I've just been down the welding shop and all seemed well looking at the above photo until we put the battery box with the spark unit and rectifier in .This stopped any diagonal bracing being added as per above - so what have the great and good on the ICOA list done to make it possible. please - apart from cutting 3" off of the battery box,,that is - Thanks in anticipation

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The battery box will fit, the triggers and rectifier will need to be relocated.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

I had the loan of Mike Barone`s "Dawg" at Marinton. Not sure what he had done to it but it was the best handling cbx I ever rode.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”