Changing the rear end on a 79

Treacle Miner
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Changing the rear end on a 79

Post by Treacle Miner »

Afternoon all
I have a '79 z model and want to change the rear end so I can customise it a little.
I have a Yamaha XR1300 rear end that I was hoping to use but the measurement across the pivot points is about 5mm too much-
Another thing that won't work is the dia of the pivot bolt..it looks to be 17/18 mm

Any one tried?
Thanks in anticipation

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Changing the rear end on a 79

Post by EMS »

Yes. I have put a CB1300 (CB1000 Big One) swingarm in a 79 frame. 5mm width is not that much to machine off. 2.5mm per side. Any good machine shop will do that. As far as the swingarm pivot bolt is concerned, a sleeve will do the job. You can enlarge the frame and peg plate holes to 16mm and use a 1980 swingarm axle, which will bring you a tad closer. A slightly more difficult issue is the wider rear wheel with the chain location in relation to the front sprocket

Treacle Miner
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Treacle Miner »

EMS ,Thanks for those wise words...I think I can manage that ,funnily enough,I was in hospital with a local guy who has a machine shop..he's been a handy contact for the occasional one off..the most I've had to pay him was a round of golf and lunch!
I'll have a measure up..I might have to shave more off of one side so the chain lines up.

Cheers and have a good Christmas
Chris

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Can you not shim on the sprocket side to make it protrude a little ?

Please share some progress pictures as you go
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

I installed a XJR 1300 RP19 swingarm to a `82 CBX. I had sent the swingarm to Emil Schwarz https://www.emilschwarz.de/ with the exact dimension between the frame and got back a plug and play solution free of play and a grease nipple.
Regards
Andreas

Regards
Andreas

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”