Fork Seal Replacement

Market525
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Fork Seal Replacement

Post by Market525 »

I'm new to this board as well as new to CBX's. I've recently purchased a 1982 CBX that has the usual list of issues caused by sitting for years. My question relates to the front fork seal replacement. The Honda service manual calls for fairing removal. Just eyeing the bike, it would appear this job could be done without removing the fairing. Would anyone who has done this job please comment?

I enrolled in ICOA last week, and look forward to reading & learning with this group in coming months. I notice there is a rally in August in this end of the country in Vermont that I will try to attend.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Market525

Fork Seal Replacement

Post by Market525 »

Well, no replies - but I can now answer the question. You DO NOT have to remove the fairing to remove the fork tubes to replace the fork seals. :D

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

Welcome to the board and the ICOA. Thanks for the insight on replacing the fork seals. Timewise, how long did it take to do the job?

Carl
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

Market525

Post by Market525 »

Carl,

I'd say the process took me 4 hours or so. Understand that I do not have the best workshop out there, and I'm pretty slow! The Honda service manual proceedure calls for a press to compress the forks with once off the bike, plus the use of several special Honda tools.

Suffice it to say that one trip to the hardware store with about $5 spent in the plumbing dept (PVC pipe) took care of the special "seal driver" needed. As for the press, let's just say I improvised with a small hydraulic jack and another object that would not move! Anyway, it worked pretty well.

I went back with 10W fork oil, based on some reading I did here and in "Tech Tips". The Honda seal set was readily available for about $17 per side.

Now for the carbs......

Take care,

Steve

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”