Removing side brackets

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Removing side brackets

Post by oldbikerdude »

Hi All, I want to remove the side brackets as shown in pic.
Do I need to support the swingarm when I pull out the long bolt so shock stays in position.
Want to get in there behind to clean things up.
Removed the chain sprocket, unbelievable amount of dirt encrusted grease, underneath. Now clean as a whistle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Removing side brackets

Post by Rick Pope »

Yes, support the swingarm. You can use the other through-bolt to follow the one you're removing.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

If you don't have a spare pivot bolt, I've discovered that my Snap-On, 1/2" drive, 18" extension with do the job just fine.

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

Yes, good advice, will do this.

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

So did exactly as suggested, just took one long bolt out and followed it in with an extension. Got the one cleaned up, bit of grease on shaft, and good as new. Took one bracket off at a time, also cleaned them up, pretty filthy on backside. Like how Honda thought this out, one bolt goes in from left the other from the right. Works good, so you can remove one bolt and bracket, then the other.
All back together, along with new rear master cylinder kit.
Took out the battery bracket, and used high gloss rust paint to repaint some of the rusted areas, goes back in tomorrow.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”