Lean angle to Tire used

ELee

Lean angle to Tire used

Post by ELee »

Here are some questions I would like comment, the amount of tire used at steep lean angles. :?

I qualify this with my 81 running Brigstone BT 45's front and back on stock rims. Size is "standard" if anything the front is a little narrow. I have absoultly no complaint on grip including running a few track days. :)

Why am I asking then -- well it's the front tire, I'm using ALL of it, I mean the scrubbed rubber is actually over the edge a little. The back still has 3/4 inch before the edge. It's a settle the nerves thing for me. I sure would like to be at my max comfort level, reminded a-la spring "feelers" extended from the pegs and know there is a margine of tire remaining on the front.

Like I said no complaint never have had the front slide, by me over extending, but, this is on my mind when I should be doing other "things".

Now the obvious is to slow it down and not push it, maybe extend my feelers (a little whimpy but reminds well). Get a different bike. I'll just say this is for those times I have to change my line to avoid --- danger! :wink:

Is there anybody out there actually able to scrape a peg and survive? My feelers are just about 3-1/2 inches and it takes a lot of lean to touch.

Oh, I really don't want to go the replacement or modified rim route butttttt if it settles my nerve, that's why I'm asking!

Thanks,

Later,

Ed Lee #5428

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tire scrub

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Lee, Do not take offense but you are crazier than I am. You have almost made it to the ' George Dillaway Level' !! If you do not know who he is, do not fret. A lot of us claim no knowledge of him. He is one of our resident 2- wheeled engine stand racers. He loves to scrape the crank covers at Turn 11 at Road Atlanta. He even has a turbo CBX.

Anyway, I think the reason that you have 2 wear patterns is that the tires have different widths and contours. If you lean the tires over the same you will see a difference. Plus the front tire is getting pushed by the bike so you will get some scrub angle as they call it. Picture a HemiCuda on a small skid pad at full lock. Plows more than the Queen Mary. Front tires are being pushed over so far that 1/2 the sidewall is hitting the road. Scary Hope that helps. Stay safe. Crazy Dave
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi ed

interesting observation

i am trying to think back when i had stock early front and back about tire wear..........but cant recall anything related to this tire wear phenom...

however i will tell you that my 80 with 1100f front and back with some econo handling changes and 4.5" koosman rear weldup and 160 on the back... takes the back tire right to the edge but there is a tad left on the front before getting to the edge during track days .....so its the opposite of your situation .....right

with above i never scrape the pegs yet over the years at track days and sport rides not too many cbxers have gotten by nomatter if they scrape the footpegs or not. i removed the feelers at the bottom though, but on the other hand the 1100f makes the x alot lower so one would think if it was going to scrape the pegs it would esp considering my weight over yours

my cornclusion is what are the results for you. it sure seems to me you are doing wonderful as is.....

u can call me someday if you want and we can bs about this 800-869-5763 then 1, then 4331 mid morn or late afternoon eastern time

best

mike

ELee

Lean angle tire wear

Post by ELee »

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for, a good start.

No, I'm not Crazy if anything trying to understand limitations and possibly what I can do to create a margin of safety/comfort, even if only imagined.

I do enjoy a spirited ride, I'm proud of my X and amaze/fool myself - fellow modern bikers that an old, big, heavy screaming 6 cylinder stays in their mirrors; of course sounding way much cooler!

Yes, there is a lot that front end is asked to do, believe me really don't like that "tucked" mill-a-moment(s). All other bikes have given me that scrape warning before the tires were out to the edge. Wise as I am, the spirit is testing. therefore induced scrape, with my feelers --- Chill Ed you don't want the fuse to reach the other end! From what I hear did a good thing!

Sooo still asking, is there anyone out there experiencing the same thing?

Is there anyone with a "simple" solution?

Is there anyone that can tell me, it's as good as it gets and just stay with the feelers at $5.57 total? Oh by the way they are only 3-1/8 inches from bottom of peg.

Items I'm investigating; Thought process is either or both, wider rim for wider tire.

Problem(s): 19 inch rim can not be widened by (what's his name, we talked yesterday) only 18.

Can I swap to somebodys 18 that's wider? What does that do to my speedo and ground clearance?

Not a large selection of 19 front tires available in wider width than "3.25 or 110. Currently the Brigstone is 100, have run the ME77 also in "3.25, same thing.

Don't know enough about different manufacturers and their profiles.

Thought I heard something about a tire that fits narrow rims with a better profile.

Remember I have reached that point mortallity is believable. Don't really want to scratch the Chrome either!

Keep up the input.

Thanks,

Later,

Ed Lee

Post by Guest »

hi ed

part 2: the very first thing i would do is remove the footpeg feelers.... then give a try in slow increments from then on and build it up until you find out what scrapes first since the feelers are not there anymore. then go from there. see below half way mod i am going to try

we just bought a new bike and the feelers are about 3" long and scrape way toooo early i think. it is annoyingnnnnnnng. we bought the optional centerstand and the new longer feelers were included but i think it can be so distracting when they scrape this could cause a loss of concentration and maybe even cause a crash vs being a safety feature

i am going to cut about 1" out of the middle of the footpeg feeler shaft ..the plug the remaining shaft ends into some rubber tubing so i still get a mini warning but not this masssive distracting grinding.

>>>>

on your other q i have been through all this over the past 20 years with continual development with econo handling changes and can help you with what i have discovered. you can e tom neimeyer for his page on some of these articles e him for the page address tneimeyer@houston.rr.com

>>>>

i think i have figured most of this handling out as it relates the early model and some may help u on late models. call me after reading toms page on q, but i will tell you that a good handling late model with econo handling mods is no match for a good handling early model with econo handling mods

>>>>

lastly lots of people will say an ole bike like the cbx is no match for the new bikes.........equal riders with equal experience this is true

but an above average cbx rider on an above average econo based cbx that handles will be a match for a below average rider on a new bike every time......... count on it.

point is pick when you wanna go and know the riding skill of those you ar riding with....never get yourself and your cbx into riding over your head with great riders on new bikes esp where there are long straights

in saying this i can tell you that at short circuits on race days....a good handling cbx can take care of its own ....again just as long as there are no long straights

go to the icoa homepage and read bout another cbx at a track day under special cbx articles ...i think

best .......hope this helps

mike

ELee

Lean Angle

Post by ELee »

Mike,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the site in a few.

My feelers are on "springs", yes, nerving (just what the doctor ordered)when they touch but not upsetting to the bike. I have adjusted the length of them, actually a good first guess, such that they touch with front tire graining over the edge -- time to "control myself". Based on the other comments I dare not test what scrapes next!

Yes, the new stuff works so much better, I rode an Aprilla on the track after wrestling the X all day. Those I was struggling to keep up with were no where to be seen! I was only putting in 1/2 the effort, going a lot faster. feeling twice as confident.

Here is the deal, getting older, have had a few "tucks" in my day, was seeing my riding was suffering more and more as those memories filter back causing me to do those preservation check-ups that cause even more problems. Now that I've started to cure my mental I'm seeing the physical i.e. literally the ragged edge of tire. I'd love to have that false or better yet real sense of security knowing I'm not on the edge - have a reserve.

This is a good thing. Seems a topic for everyones knowledge, interest and Safety.

Who hasn't misjudged a turn an run wide in fear of loosing it for "what ever reason", maybe all along had plenty to go -- maybe! Is there oncomming traffic or not --- SMACK! Thats Sick! But let's be honest.... who has not gambled!

Later,

Ed Lee

Later,

Ed Lee

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”