Broken Center Stand -Hope this never happens to you!

Cool Blue North
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Cool Blue North »

So the wife tells me that my bikes are parked too close to her gardening stuff in the garage and she doesn't want to scratch one with a rake. I dutifully go to move my mint Glory Red 79 CBX to safety. I push it off the centerstand like I've done a hundred times before when suddenly, over she goes, falling against my Kawasaki W650. Not expecting this, I wasn't able to stop the fall, just slow it down. Fully expecting to see the W650's footpeg sank in to the CBX gas tank, I quickly lift it up and, fortunately, the CBX seems OK although the W650's front fender is DOA, having done battle with the CBX clutch lever. I put the CBX on the side stand and crawl underneath to see what the H E Double Hockey Stick happened and am astonished to see that the 2 uprights for the center stand had snapped clean off (feelin' luck, punk?) right below the pivot. Has anyone else had this happen? Can the center stand be welded properly as I know it'll be tough to find another? How the heck do you get it off the bike? Do you have to remove the exhaust and pound that shaft through? Why do these things happen to me? Thanks in advance!

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

this is/was a common problem with early models. it happened to my centerstand a few months after i bought it new in 80

i cant give you step by step instructions on how to get the centerstand off but it can be repaired by welding

mike

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jeff Dean »

Removing one side of the exhaust is required, if memory serves. Seems like I removed the right side. The center stand is held in place by a pivot rod, which can be removed after loosing 2 nuts (10mm?) then taking out a keeper pin (clip). Tap the rod straight out (thats why you remove the ex.) Note direction of spring. Remove the spring last, re-install it prior to slidding the rod back through. Fighting the spring otherwise, and it's tough! I too, had to learn the hard way :oops: , 'cept I held on when it fell over. Jerked me over the handle bars, In the front yard no less. Neighbors came running over, said they figured one day i'd get hurt on "them bikes", just thought it would be on the street!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

center stand fatigue...

Post by Mike Nixon »

This same problem occured on the DOHC 750, the CBX's little brother. In fact, if memory serves, I believe there is a factory bulletin on it (for the 750). Probably similarly designed.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I had my side stand reinforced at a local welding shop for next to nothing. Took it in and the welder placed a steel rod down the inside length of the side stand after slowly heating it to get the (bow) out of it. Shaved off a bit from the foot as well. Works great! Bike doesn't lean over too far anymore. Hope my center stand lasts a bit longer as I do not want to remove the pipe or pound the shaft out to get to it.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Cool Blue North

Post by Cool Blue North »

So here's the epilogue to my little incident. The center stand comes off quite easily, RH exhaust system off, 2 - 10mm pinch bolts on pivot off, cotter pin from LH end of shaft out, and then simply pull the shaft out from the RH side with a pair of pliers, no hammering required. A good welder at the GM Dealership where I work was able to weld the stand back together very nicely and reinforced it by adding a triangle of steel to fill the gap between the 2 uprights near the pivot point. Looks great, should never give trouble again. Based on the responses I received here I'd advise every CBX owner to get on their back and check the center stand for signs of fatigue. In fact if your taking off your exhaust system for another reason I'd suggest removing your center stand and doing the above modification. You don't want to see your beloved CBX "oily side up" like I did. Thanks for everyones help.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Could you go down low and get a 'pic' of the weld? It would be cool to see exactly what your welder did. I've not experienced a break yet but I agree that it would be a good thing to do a 'preventive' weld. It would have been great if we could have seen the broken stand before you fixed it. Anybody know if the 81-82s stands break? I know they are different, maybe because the earlier style did break, so they redesigned it?

:D :D

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

jim

i never heard of a late model having this problem....but a few min checking things out and maybe a few reinforcement welds wont do any harm

this is not something you want to be the very first person it happened to

mike

sixofsix

Center Stand Breaking

Post by sixofsix »

Yeah, it happened to me too. It is quite common on the early CBX,s and it is an easy fix to re-inforce it. Everyone with an early model should check their center stand. It was a design flaw coupled with a poor weld to begin with.

That's It,

Tony

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Center Stand reinforcement

Post by spencer »

This center stand is not cracked, but the red arrows point to the areas which typically crack.

This is a picture of the same center stand after some welded reinforcement. The welds are not pretty, but you get the idea.

SCH

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Spencer, Short & to the point with excellent graphics.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I had always had a very difficult time putting my '80 on it's center stand. In comparison, I think the little neighbor kid could put my '79 on its stand. I have suspected for some time that the '80 had an issue with the stand. I took a picture this summer and noticed that the '80 and '79 stands looked different.

I then looked closer at the '80's stand, thinking that it was getting ready to break. I found that it must have broken off in the past and been rewelded. The problem is that the stand was welded with the stand legs at the wrong angle. This makes it tough to put up on the stand.

I have a replacement ready to install this winter. I will do the re-enforement welding before the intall.

Thanks for the pics Spencer.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Prolink center stands are better and work fine on early models.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

EMS wrote:The Prolink center stands are better and work fine on early models.
I dug through my attic parts and found a late model stand. I will give it a try when I swap stands but it does have differences. It has more of a curve to its shape and the spring holder is in a different position.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

My 82 is the hard one to raise up. George said its because I have a ProSus shock on it instead of the stock unit and its a tad lower than usual. Loaded for a tour, its a real back breaker to get up. Another reason I try for a 90 series rear instead of the more available 80.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”