Prolink swingarm again

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Prolink swingarm again

Post by Stevo »

Hi all I have stripped my CBX1000 Prolink 81 model for full resto, I have read lots of info on the forum re the bearings in the swing arm, mine are stuffed. Cant find the 2 ball bearings or the needle roller, is there anyone who knows how to repair , some owners say that you can get a replacement needle bearing but it seems no one knows where any help please.

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Prolink swingarm again

Post by Stevo »

Hmm no replys so I guess I am on my own with this one. I have found some angular thrust bearing that are under size so will get sleeves made to install and will do similar for the needle bearing side as well. I will post bearing part numbers, sleeve sizes etc when finished.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

No doubt you have found these two threads with limited info on the bearings.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10268

Looking forward to hearing about any progress you make on spacer/sleeve dimensions and the bearings themselves.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Just looked those dimensions (16 x 38 x 12) up in a bearing cross reference and came up with the following.

Manufacturer FAG part number 3168PP
Manufacturer USA-FSN part number 710210

Googling those part numbers came up with several supply houses that claim they can get it but it was “call for pricing”. By the way those part numbers are for a sealed bearing so you would not have to worry about finding a seal.

Hope this helps,

Andy
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

Correction, USA-FSN 710120
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

So after a little more research the FSN is a Federal Stock Number which is now called an NSN which is a National Stock Number, not a manufacturer. FAG however is a manufacturer.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Steve, the ball bearings on the right side are unobtanium as best anyone knows. This lilnk will give you some info. The left side needle bearing is a commercial thing. I don't have the number off-hand. however, given the dimensions, you should be able to find it in any number of catalogues. And, sources. With sleeving and/or od or id grinding there are commercial bearings of the proper design that can be adapted for the right side. That fitting, done properly, is going to be some $$$. And, do need precision! If these type bearings are not used, there WILL be some play/lash in your swingarm. (However small it may be.) That's why the threaded retainers, as designed, are there. They preload the dual facing angular contact bearings to zero play. They cannot do that with a deep groove bearing.

Typically, those bearings are not beyond continued service -- unless they have somehow become significantly corroded. If your bearings are, indeed, bad, you might consider contacting Louis. (usedcbxparts.com)

Here's a sketch I did a few years ago to illustrate the bearing arrangement. Note how the ball bearings are preloaded with the adjuster on the LEFT side through the needle bearing journal and the spacer.

Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stevo »

Thanks guys
Limey01 I cannot find those numbers anywhere.

What I have ordered is 2 deep groove bearing that are the correct dimensions except that they are 10 mm wide, so the plan is to make a 2mm spacer to go between the 2 bearings, then tightening the lock nut will push on the outer ring of the 1st bearing onto the inner ring (via the spacer) of the 2nd bearing thus eliminating the very slight 0.0008" clearances in the bearing for zero play. On the needle bearing side (I could not find a direct replacement) I found a bearing with the correct OD but with a larger ID, will machine the original needle bearing inside ring for a neat fit inside new bearing, ie making a spacer that already has the correct 16mm ID
I will put up a new post with all details if successful.

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stevo »

4mm Spacer

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”