'82 Prolink fork seal instalation

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

'82 Prolink fork seal instalation

Post by hondaman160mph »

I'm changing my leaking fork seals on my '82 Prolink. After removing the fork tubes and sliders from the bike can I remove the fork seals by using the fork tube like a slide hammer puller to remove the seals instead of using the book method of filling the fork tube with oil and compressing it in a hydraulic press?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '82 Prolink fork seal instalation

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Yes, the slide hammer method should get the old seals out.
This clip from Tom, who is an active member from the 1100F site, is an excellent tutorial on fork seal maintenance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJ8JgLtgk0

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Great info, thanks Steve.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

When you do the fork-tube-as-slide-hammer method, the bushing will come out, too No problem. A tip or or two for installation: FIRST, be certain the seals are oriented correctly. Look at the photo in the book. It's somewhat easy to get them upside down. (Don't ask me how I know that!) They will leak like a sieve if upside down. Second: Use a piece of pvc as a seal driver. Drive the seal and washer close to the snap ring groove; but, not past it. Then place the snap ring on top of the washer and drive the entire package down until the snap ring falls into its groove. Typically, this will set things square; and, leave the seal/washer seated against the snap ring. Oil the od of the seal before you install it.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Thanks for the info. I had installed fork seals at 12,000 miles and made the mistake of not using Honda seals. At 14,500 miles they are already leaking. I have ordered Honda seals and bushings this time.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I am considering installing Progressive fork springs while the forks are off. Found these pictures on Progressive's web site for '82 CBX fork springs.
The springs look very short and the spacer very long. What's the purpose of the 4 little springs?

fork-spring-kit_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

While I'm not 100% certain, I think the short springs are rebound springs that go under the damping rod. Requires complete fork disassembly. (Not a big deal if you have the forks removed from the bike.)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”